5/30/11

Pasta with Peas and Ham and Today Show Highlights

In keeping with the summer food theme that started yesterday (is it a theme if it's on it's second day?), here's a lovely little pasta dish for you to add to your rotation. 

And just an FYI, cocktail shakers make good vessels in which to mix dressing. 


This pasta dish was fresh and lovely and had the perfect amount of lemony goodness to really make my day.  You should try it, I bet you'd like it.  


Pasta with Peas and Ham
adapted from Noble Pig

1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, divided
1/2 lb whole wheat pasta (i used noodles, but bow ties or penne or something like that would be much easier to measure out)
1 cup frozen peas
3/4 cup of cooked ham, chopped (I just got a a few slices of ham cut thick at the deli)

Combine lemon juice, pepper, olive oil, and 1/4 cup of Parmesan cheese in a jar with a lid.  Or a cocktail shaker.  Combine it up real good, set aside. 

Cook the pasta according to the package directions, but reduce cooking time by two minutes.  Add the peas and the ham, continue cooking for two more minutes.  Drain. 

Combine pasta with the dressing, mix well. 

Serving size 1 cup (makes about 5 servings)
Points plus 10

So since it's Memorial Day, and I'm on my couch watching the Today show, I figured I'd share just a few of the awesome stories I've heard just in the short time I've been typing this.

There was a book written called Run Like a Girl that discusses how strong women make happy women.  The author is working to take the phrase "run like a girl" and change it from insult to empowerment.  Very cool.  Makes me want to try that running thing again....and NOT give up when I get frustrated over how to time myself correctly. 

A woman named Taryn Davis started a project called American Widow Project after her husband was killed serving our country.  This nonprofit works to help a new generation of widows help each other heal and figure out how to live their lives again.  

Love that.  Love it when people take horrible situations and make good out of them.  I mean, they go sky diving and take weekend trips together.  Very cool.    

 

No comments:

Post a Comment