5/23/11

Spicy Dr. Pepper Shredded Pork Loin

If you ever want to get me a prize, get me a Dr. Pepper.  More specifically, a Dr. Pepper from Sonic.  A big one. 

Thanks.  

Last night's supper was inspired by something that the Pioneer Woman made a bit back.  Mine was a little different, mainly because I didn't think I needed to make enough shredded pork for 18 people.  It's just me and the fiance after all.  You can click here to see her original recipe.

Mine used less pork, a roast tenderloin instead of a shoulder, and a crock pot.  


And yes, that plant is dead and that is Brandon's hat from his now closed high school.  And the kool aid for the evening was black cherry.  

Spicy Dr. Pepper Shredded Pork Loin 
adapted from Pioneer Woman

3 lb pork boneless sirloin roast
salt and pepper
1 large onion, sliced
12 oz Dr Pepper
7 oz chipolte peppers in sauce
1 tbl brown sugar  

Combine all ingredients in the crock pot.  Cook on high for six hours.  Once the pork is done cooking, shred it with a fork and discard large pieces of fat.  

Serving size 1/2 cup (makes 10 servings)
Points plus 4

Serve wrapped in a flour tortilla with one tbl of reduced fat mozzarella cheese.  Adjust points as needed!

Some notes on this one.  It's HOT. Like REAL SPICY.  I removed the large peppers to ensure that one wouldn't sneak into my tortilla, but that sauce makes it real hot.  You might want to up the amount of brown sugar help with the heat.  Also, I'm sure Diet Dr. Pepper could be used instead of DP Heavy.  However, due to my aspartame issues, I can't drink it and therefore didn't use it.

Woo! 
    

1 comment:

  1. A Cruger- Tchula hat!! I sucked at keeping my Cruger memorabilia... I didn't even keep any homecoming t-shirts! makes me sad..

    ReplyDelete