5/2/11

USA, Educational Speakers, and Pork Chops ( One Pot Creamy Braised Pork Chops with Rice and Peas)

First of all, hell yeah USA.  And yes mom, I thought that "hell yeah" was necessary.  And you know how you always talk about the president coming to dinner and what would he think about our manners?  Well, I think he'd be ok with the use of "hell" in that sentence.  

Moving on.

How was your weekend?  Mine was nice.  Went to Memphis on Friday which is why there was no "few on Friday" post.  It was going to be a good one, all about how I thought that Chickey needs to marry a royal so that I can be like Pippa Middleton.  I even had pictures and links to eligible royal bachelors but just didn't have time to finish it.  Maybe next time.

My time in Memphis was spent at the NAJA Annual Convention.  While there, I heard two very interesting speakers...Julia V Taylor and Josh Gunderson

Josh Gunderson spoke all about safety and facebook and the internet and keeping your information private.  He told all kinds of scary stories but was funny at the same time.  People...make sure that your privacy settings are tight on the face book.  Made me double check mine AND think about the stuff I put on this blog.  For reals. 

Julia V Taylor (and you have to put the V in there, she said if you don't you wont like what you see when you google) has done tons of work on body image and helping others to maintain a healthy body image.  She gave tons of realistic information and also showed this video...check it out!

It made me think about this blog and body image and weight loss and healthiness and all of that.  I'm not quite sure WHAT I think about it yet, but I'm thinking.  I'll keep you posted. 

The weekend wasn't all educational speakers, there was also time spent on that stinky little street called Beale.  The high point was when I was able to charm my way in without my id; the low point was when I got one of those huge long straws fro Silky's stuck between my foot and my sandal.  It wasn't cool at all, matter of fact I'm still shuttering over whose mouth that straw was in BEFORE it was hung up between my toes.  Sick.

Fun weekend with a fun group, glad I went!  

All this weekend left me wanting something quick and comforting.  After picking up a pretty pack of pork chops I was able to make this meal.  It's much better than it sounds, I promise.

 
One Pot Creamy Braised Pork Chops with Rice and Peas
adapted from Green Lite Bites

cooking spray
5 boneless pork loin chops
the following to taste:  salt, pepper, garlic powder, dried thyme
1 tbl olive oil
1/2 onion, chopped
3 cloves of garlic, chopped
1 (15 oz can) of diced tomatoes
1 can of reduced fat cream of mushroom soup
2 1/2 cup cooked brown rice
2 cups of frozen peas. 

Spray a large pot with cooking spray and heat it to medium high heat.  Season the chops with the salt, pepper, garlic powder, and thyme. Place the chops in the pot for about two minutes on each side.  They wont be cooked, you're just doing this to get a good sear.  Remove the chops and set aside.

Add the olive oil, the onion, and the garlic.  Cook until done.  Add the tomatoes and scrape the bottom of the pan.  Add the soup along with 1/2 of a can of water. Mix well.  

Return the chops to the pot, make sure they are covered up by the sauce.  Cover the pot and reduce the heat down to medium low. Cook for at least 20 minutes or until the chops are done. 

Remove the chops, set them aside and keep warm.  Add the cooked rice and the frozen peace to the soup mixture, cook until all is heated through.  Serve.

Serving size 1 pork chop and 1 cup of rice mixture (makes five servings)
Points plus 9

Don't forget about the Robert Johnson Festival coming up this weekend!   

1 comment:

  1. i heard several folks in memphis this past weekend ran into Jake Geyllenhaal and the Mumford and Sons singer guy. My sister included. I hate you didn't! And you should probably go wash your feet again.

    ReplyDelete