6/14/11

Creamed Spiniach

Guess what? 

Sometimes I don't count points. 

Shocking, I know. 

One of my favorite treats when I'm not counting points is to go to Gardenias and get their Ricotta Spinach.  I know, dream big.  It's just so good.  And pair it with an app of friend shrimp?  Shut your mouth.  Heaven, I tell you.  

I tried my best to recreate this heavenly goodness on Sunday when I cooked supper for Brandon's dad's birthday.  In return for doing this, Brandon cleaned my trashcan.  And washed all the dishes.  

Also on the plate that night was a pot roast, sweet cornbread, sliced tomatoes, and English peas.  Not a crazy hard menu so I have no excuse to not have taken a picture of the meal.  

Forgive me as I know that each one of you look so forward to my riveting food photography....

Creamed Spinach

2 tsp olive oil
1/4 cup of minced red onion
10 fresh spinach
1 tbl butter
1 tbl flour
1/2 cup low fat milk
1/8 tsp grated nutmeg
1/8 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
2 tbl Parmesan cheese

Heat olive in a large skillet.  Add the onion and cook (stirring frequently) for about 30 seconds.  Add spinach and cook, stirring, until wilted (about 2 minutes).

Heat butter in a small sauce pan over medium high heat.  Add flour and cook, stirring until smooth and bubbling (about 30 seconds).  Add milk, nutmeg, salt, pepper and whisk constantly until thick (about one minute) Stir spinach into the sauce.  Sprinkle with grated cheese.  Divide into three equal portions.

Serving size 1/3 of recipe
Points plus 3     

1 comment:

  1. friend shrimp? sounds delicious. i just might have to break the great seafood rule of '94 for that.

    ReplyDelete