6/9/11

Save Your Points (Ham and Cheese in Puff Pastry)

This is one of those meals that you're going to need to save your points for.  I didn't intend for the points to be so high, but, such is life. 

In addition to saving your points, you're also going to need to thaw out your puff pastry.  Turns out, this process takes about forty minutes.  Forty minutes feels like an eternity when you are hungry for puff pastry, ham, and cheese. 


I have recently discovered a new found love for hot ham and cheese sandwiches.  My recent fave has been the one from the Crystal Grill.  It is, in fact, my favorite Sunday night meal.  You know...get all ready for the week, eat a hot ham and cheese, maybe wash some clothes.  

Excited I was when I found this lovely recipe on The Freeman Club.  It was quick to put together (aside from the thawing) and didn't require a whole lot of skill.  I, for one, was kind of intimidated by puff pastry sheets.  

A few things I learned during this process....

1.  Watch the timer.  I caught it at 18 minutes in and it was almost burned.  That would have been awful.  

2.  Non stick spray would've been a good idea.  Or some type of non stick something or other.  I put it on wax paper and that was not the best idea.  There was a layer of puff pastry left behind.    

3.  This sandwich kind of tasted like the ham and cheese calzone from Pasquale's.  Be still my heart.  I bet with a little ranch and an additional cheese it would have been spot on.  

Try not to be to jealous of my blue kool aid.  Ok I'll stop talking now...

  

Ham and Cheese in Puff Pastry
adapted from Food Network

2 sheets of frozen puff pastry, thawed
2 tbl dijon mustard
1/4 lb deli ham
7 oz part skim mozzarella cheese, shredded
1 egg
1 tbl water

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.

Unfold one sheet of puff pasty, spread out the mustard leaving about a 1 inch border.  Add the cheese, then the mustard. 

Combine the egg and the water to make an egg wash.  Brush egg wash around the edge of the pastry. 

Place the second layer of puff pastry on top, lining up the edges.  Smush the edges together.  Brush the egg wash on the top sheet of pastry.  Make a few slits in the top so that the steam can escape.

Bake for about 20 minutes....but mine was almost burned at 18 so watch out!  I have a funky oven though...so all of my cook times might be a little skewed.  

Divide the sandwich into six equal slices.  

Serving size 1 slice
Points plus 12

Serve this with a good 0 point vegetable, like some broccoli or some green beans, to help fill up.   

No comments:

Post a Comment