6/28/11

Tomato Jam

There's alot about this recipe that is going to sound strange. It's a sauce, it's a jam, it's got a lot going on. I keep telling my mom about it, she keeps responding with "hmmmmmmm."

Don't ya just love summer food?  Still working on my light...
 I would have probably reacted the same way if I had read the recipe before giving it a taste.  It was one of the dishes featured at that book signing that I went to a few weeks ago.  Since I'm not one to shy away from the dip table, I grabbed up a wheat thin and dug in. 

Ya'll. This cookbook.  This tomato jam.  It's GOOD.  And fresh tasting.  

But it is labor intensive.  I had to peel and seed tomatoes and grate ginger.  Those are two things that I can without a doubt add to my list of things that I don't enjoy.  You know what else I could add?  Making a wedding list.  That jazz is for the freaking birds.  

But I digress.  Try this jam.  Eat it with cold pasta, veggies, crackers, a spoon, whatever.  


Tomato Jam

2 tbl olive oil 
1/4 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup grated and peeled ginger
3 cloves of garlic, chopped up
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/8 tsp ground cloves
1/8 tsp ground allspice
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 cup sherry vinegar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
4 cups peeled seeded and chopped tomatoes (this was about 4 BIG tomatoes)
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/4 cup of honey
juice from two lemons (about 2 tablespoons)

Heat the oil in a large pan over medium heat.  Add the onions and a pinch of salt, cook until the onions are soft.  Give it a stir occasionally.  Add the ginger and garlic, stir and cook for about a minute.  Stir in the spices; add the vinegar brown sugar, and tomatoes.  

Reduce the heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, for about an hour and a half.  You want the tomatoes to break down and most of the liquid to evaporate.  

Stir in the honey, salt, and pepper.  Increase the heat and boil the jam until it is shiny and thick, about two minutes.  Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the lemon juice.  Let the jam cool to room temperature, stirring occasionally.

Serving size 1/4 cup
Points plus 3   

No comments:

Post a Comment