7/6/11

A Big Bowl 'o Comfort (Goat Cheese and Zucchini Pasta)

For the second week in a row, Tuesday night was Pilates night.  Or Yo-lates.  I feel like it's a mixture of both.  But I don't really know what I'm talking about AND that's very besides the point. 

Anywho.  Erin really worked us and my shouldie and thighs were quite fatigued.  Chick thinks my shouldie was fatigued from all that rolling, but that's also besides the point. 

Anywho x 2.  The class was a tough one but worth it.  We pushed and my legs shook and i wanted to army crawl out until we got to the end.  I'm not one who finds it at all easy to quiet my mind and I struggled especially to do so that night.  Then as I acknowledged what my mind was wandering to and returned my focus to my breathing I was able to eventually settle down.  As soon as I heard the instructor say that it was like a big slap in the face.  Duh.  Biggest lesson your therapist will try to get you to see....acknowledge what bothers / scares  you / enrages you then let it go. 

And then the tears came.  Just small ones.  And not ones of sadness.  Or joy.  Just small tears.  Does anyone else cry during pilates / yoga / yo-lates?  It was a nice moment.  With the kinds of things I hear constantly at work I've learned how to kind of glaze my face over and go to a different place when what I'm hearing gets too heavy.  I'm not saying it's the right thing.  It's survival, really.  It can be hard to switch it back on and be present in non-work life.  Turns out focusing on  your breathing helps. 

That and pasta. 

And goat cheese. 

What?  Yeah, I did that.  Got all deep here on the elevator. And I also exercised then came home and ate pasta. So there's a lot going on right now...


This recipe was like something sent down from heaven.  I was looking for something to cook for supper on Tuesday that would be yum, not make a huge amount, and contain goat cheese.  Well, leave it Real Simple and Twitter to really meet a girl's needs.  They shared a recipe that turned out to be easy to reduce to a smaller size and wasn't awful on the points.  The serving size was HUGE and it was really what I needed.  Hope you like!  And click here to see the original recipe for the original measurements, etc. 

Goat Cheese and Zucchini Pasta
adapted from Real Simple

1 1/2 cup of cooked whole wheat pasta **Be sure to save between 1/4 cup and 1/2 cup of the water that the pasta cooked in**
1/2 tsp olive oil
1/2 zucchini, sliced into half moons
1/2 tsp garlic
3 tbl crumbled goat cheese
fresh lemon zest
salt and pepper

After cooking pasta reserve cooking liquid**, drain it, and measure out 1 1/2 cup.  This turns about to be a little less than 1 1/2 cup dry pasta.  If that makes no sense, I apologize.  After it's drained, return the pasta to the warm pot. 

While pasta is cooking, heat medium pan over medium high heat and add the oil.  Cook zucchini, along with some salt and pepper, for about five minutes or until tender.  Add the garlic and cook for about a minute, remove from heat.   

Add almost all of the goat cheese to the pasta, along with some salt, pepper, and reserved pasta water.  Stir it up until it's creamy.  Add the cooked zucchini, stir well to combine. 

Transfer to a big 'o pasta bowl.  Top with remaining goat cheese and some fresh lemon zest. 

Serving size entire recipe
Points plus 10

No comments:

Post a Comment