7/7/11

Roasted Parmesan Tomatoes

I'm running low on groceries.  Like real low.  Like scraping things together low.  But don't worry.  I'm working on my list. It's going to be one of those huge grocery lists where you have to buy things like swiffers and you some how spend massive amounts of money even though you don't have a pack of children.  Nice.   

Minimal cupboards prove the theory that necessity is the mother of all invention.  Here's an example.  This morning, I knew in my mind that I wanted the following for breakfast:  a toasted wheat hamburger bun, a fried egg, and a slice of cheese.  A little sandwich.  Unfortunately, I soon learned that I was out of both cheese AND eggs.  Still had one crusty bun left. 

Soooooo I hit that bun with a little spray butter, got it warm and toasty, and spread some peanut butter on it.  After topping it with a few bananas it was ready to go.  What a treat!  A toasted almost stale hamburger bun with PB and Bananas was quite the hit in my book.  And no, I'm not just saying that because there were no other options.  I actually enjoyed it.  Toasting is key. 

Here's something I made earlier this week as a supper side.  Head out to your local farmers market and pick up some tomatoes.  Quick, easy, fresh, done.   


Roasted Parmesan Tomatoes
adapted from Eating Well

2 large tomatoes, cut in half horizontally
2 tbl Parmesan cheese
Italian seasoning
salt and pepper
2 tsp olive oil

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.

Place the tomatoes, cut side up on a baking sheet.  Top each tomato with 1/2 tbl of cheese.  Sprinkle each one with salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning.  Drizzle 1/2 tsp of olive oil on each tomato. 

Bake in a preheated oven for 15 seconds. 

Serving size 2 halves (makes 2 servings)
Points plus 2

No comments:

Post a Comment