7/14/11

Strengths and Weakness (Stove Top Macaroni and Cheese)

If you are a regular visitor to the Elevator you know by now that if it's creamy and cheesy and warm, I'm probably going to knock you down for it.  You also probably know by now that I often misspell words and do not have a knack for grammar.

Why am I bringing that up?  Because last night my future mister gently asked me if I realized my spelling / word usage errors and wanted to be alerted to them (collage:college; loose:lose).  He was only asking because he didn't want me to be embarrassed.  I thanked him and told him "No, it's cool."  I can't wrap my brain around spelling and my eyes just don't see the errors so there's really no reason to spend time thinking about it.  It's all about using your strengths and accepting your weakness. 

Go ahead...make a list of your strengths and weakness.  It's fun.

Strengths:  making mix cds and making homemade macaroni and cheese.

Weaknesses:  spelling and grammar. 

See!  It's that simple.  I listen to music and eat mac and cheese to cope with my inability to spell/use proper sentence structure. 

Speaking of macaroni and cheese, I've got some good news for you.  You never have to eat mac and cheese from the box again.  Woo!


Stove Top Macaroni and Cheese
adapted from Laaloosh

2 cups of whole wheat pasta
10 oz frozen, cut broccoli
3 tbl whole wheat flour
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp white pepper
1 1/2 cup of milk
3/4 cup shredded sharp (or extra sharp if you can find it) reduced fat cheddar cheese
1/4 cup of parmesan cheese
1tsp dijon mustard

Bring a large pot of water to boil, add the pasta.  Cook for about five minutes.  Add the frozen broccoli, cook for another five minutes or until pasta and broccoli are tender.  Drain and return to pot. 

Meanwhile, bring 1 1/4 cup of milk to an almost simmer.  While you are doing that, combine the flour, salt, white pepper, and onion powder.  Add the remaining 1/4 cup of milk to the flour mixture.  Once the milk has come to a simmer, add the flour / milk mixture and whisk it constantly until it has thickened, about 2-3 minutes.  Remove from heat and stir in cheeses and dijon mustard.  Stir until cheese is melted. 

Add the cheese sauce to the broccoli and pasta.  Allow it to warm over low heat for about a minute until everything is heated through. 

Serving size 1 1/4 cup (makes four servings)
Points plus 9

No comments:

Post a Comment