7/13/11

Sweet C Does Spaghetti (Crock Pot Pasta Sauce)

I realized something recently.  I get a little defensive when someone asks me details about a crock pot meal.  It's not right, but I do it.  I guess because I feel that many feel that a crock pot is kind of red neck.  And only capable of producing stews. 

Or maybe it's just because I have a touch of paranoia. 

Either way.  I should cool my jets. 

Sweet C (which I've just this second decided to name my crock pot) came through again Sunday night with a, get this, crock pot meat sauce / pasta gravy / whatever you want to call it.  Raising the roof for that.  And for poor grammar. 

My hands smelled like garlic all day long.  Not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing.


Crock Pot Pasta Sauce
adapted from Skinny Taste

1 lb italian seasoned ground turkey
5 cloves of garlic, smashed
1/2 tsp of olive oil
28 oz good canned crushed tomatos
fresh black pepper

In a large skillet sprayed with cooking spray, brown the meat.  Once it's done, transfer to your crock pot. 

Increase the heat to high heat, wipe the skillet out with a paper towel and return it to the heat.  Add olive oil, let it get hot.  Add the garlic and cook it until it's golden and smelling good.  Don't burn it, though. 

Add the garlic to the crockpot, along with the tomatos and some fresh pepper.  Stir it together.  Cook on low for 6 - 8 hours. 

Serving size 1/2 cup (makes 6 servings)
Points plus 3

This original recipe calls for italian style chicken sausage, removed from their casings and cooked.  But I couldn't find that, so there you go.  Points plus value is the same for both. 

1 comment:

  1. I have an inside joke with myself about crock pots. For some reason I think they are so funny, but I love them at the same time.

    ReplyDelete