9/1/11

My Semi Triumphant Return to Cooking (Mexican Chicken Casserole)

I made a casserole last night. 

After a week of take out and sandwiches, it was a welcome change. 

And a zesty one.

I have claimed my return to cooking to be semi-triumphant, as there were a few mis-steps.  Like my camera batteries being dead and me almost burning the chicken.  And I seemed to have misplaced most of my measuring cups, except for the 1/3 cup one.  So that's interesting.

But the meal marched on and things turned out quite well.  The flavor on this one is good and it tastes like it should be horrible for you.  I love meals that make me feel like I'm cheating....

And hey guys turns out?  I think I've posted this before....but we're going to go with it anyway, OK? Love it when I forget what I've cooked and haven't cooked. 


Mexican Chicken Casserole
adapted from Cooking Light

1 cup fat free chicken broth
2 small cans of chopped green chilies, divided
1 3/4 lb of chicken breast
1tsp olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1 cup evaporated skim milk
1 cup shredded Monetary Jack cheese, reduced fat
2 oz light cream cheese
1 10 oz can enchilada sauce
12 corn tortillas
cooking spray
1/2 cup of reduced fat sharp cheddar cheese

Bring the chicken broth and 1 can of the chilies to a boil.  Add the chicken and cook, turning, for about fifteen minutes.  Remove from heat, shred it and set it aside.  Reserve the cooking liquid. 

Preheat oven to 350.

Heat the olive oil in a large pan, add the onion and the rest of the green chilies.  Saute until soft.  Add the reserved cooking liquid, the evaporated milk, the Monterrey jack cheese, the cream cheese, and the enchilada sauce.  Stir well.  Stir in shredded chicken, remove from heat.

Spray a large baking dish with cooking spray.  Place four tortillas on the bottom, cover with 2 cups of the chicken.  Repeat twice, ending with the chicken.  Top with the cheddar cheese.  

Bake uncovered for 30 minutes.  Remove from the oven, let it stand for about ten minutes.  Divide into 8 equal slices. 

Serving size 1 piece
Points plus 7

No comments:

Post a Comment