9/22/11

Rebellion and Creamy Tortellini Soup

It's so hard to hold out on soups.  I know that it's still 89 degrees here but seriously.  I am ready.  It's like Christmas.  I don't wait well. 

What's cool is that I'm grown and if I want to make soups in 89 degree weather, then I can.  Bam. 

What do you rebel against?  No white pants after labor day?  Drinking a caffienated beverage after 5pm?  Not returning your cart to the cart slot at the Wal Mart? 

You rebel. 

So back to soups.  This one is a good pre-fall soup...it didn't turn out as creamy as I thought it would and wasn't too heavy.  The taste was good when salt and pepper was added.  And seriously...it's got cheese tortellini in it.  I could probably float cheese tortellini in water and eat it up. 

OK that was kind of gross.  Sorry.

So find the original recipe for the soup here.  I bet that it would be much creamier with the full fat evaporated milk so you just make that choice for yourself. 


Creamy Tortellini Soup

1 1.8 oz envelope of white sauce mix
4 cups of milk
1 14 oz can of vegetable broth
1 medium onion, chopped
1 heaping tsp of minced garlic
1/2 tsp of dried basil
1/4 tsp of salt
1/4 tsp of dried oregano
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
8 oz package of cheese tortellini (mine was the refrigerated kind, but you can use dried)
1 12 oz can of fat free evaporated milk
6 cups of fresh spinach leaves

Place the sauce mix in the crock pot.  Slowly add water, stirring to make sure the sauce is dissolved. Stir in broth, onion, garlic, basil, salt, oregano, and cayenne pepper.

Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or high for 2 1/2 - 3 hours.

Stir in dried tortellini, recover and cook until tortellini is done. (My refrigerated took about 20 minutes, dried would probably take around 45 on high setting).

Stir in evaporated milk and fresh spinach.  Serve with salt, pepper, and Parmesan (adjust points) if desired

Serving size 1 cup (makes 8 servings)
Points plus 5

No comments:

Post a Comment