10/31/11

Crock Pot Asian Pork with Mushrooms

Sometimes fresh ginger tastes a little like soap.  Not sure why...maybe it's because I don't chop it up small enough.  Actually, you are supposed to grate it.  But when I made this meal...I just didn't have it in me to grate.  It would've grated on my nerves.  Hee hee hee.  
Soap or no soap, this Asian inspired crock pot meal was delightful.  The flavor is big and something tells me that it's going to rock as a leftover.  And hopefully it will.  It's sitting in the fridge at work as we speak. 
 

Crock Pot Asian Pork with Mushrooms
adapted from Skinny Taste

2 lb lean pork sirloin roast
salt and pepper
cooking spray
1 cup low sodium fat free chicken broth
1/2 cup of low sodium soy sauce
1/3 cup of balsamic vinegar
3 tbl sugar
1 tsp sesame oil
pinch of red pepper flakes
1/2 tsp of Chinese five spice
1 1/2 tsp of garlic
1 tbl fresh ginger, grated or chopped up super small
8 oz sliced mushrooms

Spray a small pan with cooking spray.  Season the pork with salt and pepper, cook it on each side for about seven minutes. 

Combine the chicken broth, soy sauce, vinegar, sugar, sesame oil, red pepper flakes, Chinese five spice, garlic and ginger in a crock pot.  Add the pork when it is done cooking. 

Cook on low for 8 hours.  Thirty minutes before it's done cooking, shred the pork with two forks and add the mushrooms. 

Serving size 1 cup (makes about six)
Points plus 6

I had this last night with egg noodles and will be having it today for lunch with some wheat bread.  I wanted it with rice noodles but alas....I couldn't find any!  Shocker. 

Hope everyone has a great week!  I'm battling a sore throat....send me wishes of good health. 


No comments:

Post a Comment