10/4/11

White Bean Turkey Chili

I love a crisp morning.  Crisp mornings let me know that fall is legit here and that soup will be warming my bones later on in the day.  

Granted, the weather warmed up nicely around here yesterday.  However, this didn't stop me from changing into a fleece lounge suit upon arriving home.  I love my fleece lounge suit.  

I also love this massive new soup pot that I test drove last night.  Brandon's mom gave it to me and it's quite awesome.  Really holds some heat and appears to cook evenly.  Plus...it looks cool.  

Onto the soup...
 

And here's Mary Neff, with her happy (happpy) face for soup.  I was glad to have some girlfriends over last night; of course for their company but also because the soup makes 14 servings.  Yes.  14 servings. 3 lbs of ground turkey, lots of canalinni beans, it's kind of a beast. 

But a good beast. 


White Bean Turkey Chili
adapted from Gina's Skinny Taste

cooking spray
2 small onions, chopped
5 cloves of garlic, chopped 
2 tsp chili powder
1 bay leaf
1/2 tbl cumin
1/2 tbl oregano
2 tsp red pepper flakes
3 tbl lean ground turkey
4 16 oz cans of cannelini beans, rinsed and drained
2 cups fat free chicken broth
1/2 cup of fat free sour cream
salt and pepper to taste

Heat a large pot over medium heat.  Spray with cooking spray.  Add the onions and garlic, cook until soft.  

Add the turkey and cook until done.  Add the chili powder, bay leaf, cumin, oregano, red pepper flakes.  Cook for about 10 minutes.  

Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 45 minutes.  Add the sour cream, cook for another five minutes. 

Serving size 1 cup (makes 14 servings)
Points plus 6

A few notes on this.  I noticed last night that this didn't exactly have the flavor I was looking for.  Turns out, I misread "tbl" for "tsp" on the oregano and cumin...so mystery solved!  Also, if you use extra lean ground turkey (99% lean) you can drop the points per serving down to 5.  I couldn't find extra lean, so i just went for lean. 

No comments:

Post a Comment