11/8/11

Orange Chicken

Sunday night's meal was intense.  INTENSE. I found myself in the weeds more than once; thankfully Win was there to help me.  Brandon was also there to provide moral support as he would pass through the kitchen.  His passing through the kitchen became less as each time he walked through, I danced and sang a Beyonce song to him.  But that's neither here nor there. 

Back to the intensity that was dinner.  See that picture up there?  That's fried chicken.  Yes.  I fried something.  In oil.  And nothing caught on fire.  It was a big day.  A big day, indeed.

So what was I frying?  Orange chicken.  Yes.  That amazing little meal that you get at your favorite Chinese joint that makes your heart smile?  That one.  It's Brandon's favorite.  He eats it, on average, twice a week.  He asked recently if I could try to make it....I accepted his challenge and found this recipe on AllRecipes.  Don't you just love that site?  I know I do.

So I did absolutely nothing to make this recipe healthier.  But I did calculate the points and plan accordingly. 

Sometimes, you just need to use all the flour.     

Asian Orange Chicken


for the sauce:
1 1/2 cups of water
2 tbl orange juice
1/4 cup of lemon juice
1/3 cup of rice vinegar
2 1/2 tbl soy sauce
1 tbl orange zest
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 tsp fresh ginger
1/2 tsp garlic
2 tbl chopped green onions
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes

3 tbl corn starch
2 tbl water

chicken:
17 oz boneless skinless chicken breast
1 cup of flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
3 tbl olive oil

Pour 1 1/2 cups water, orange juice, lemon juice, rice vinegar, and soy sauce into a saucepan and set over medium-high heat. Stir in the orange zest, brown sugar, ginger, garlic, chopped onion, and red pepper flakes. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat, and cool.
Place the chicken pieces into a resealable plastic bag. When contents of saucepan have cooled, pour 1 cup of sauce into bag. Reserve the remaining sauce. Seal the bag, and refrigerate at least 2 hours.

In another resealable plastic bag, mix the flour, salt, and pepper. Add the marinated chicken pieces, seal the bag, and shake to coat.



Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Place chicken into the skillet, and brown on both sides. Drain on a plate lined with paper towels, and cover with aluminum foil.


Wipe out the skillet, and add the sauce. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Mix together the cornstarch and 2 tablespoons water; stir into the sauce. Reduce heat to medium low, add the chicken pieces, and simmer, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Serving size 1/2 cup (makes about six servings)
Points plus 12

This was great over some brown rice.  Speaking of brown rice.  Does anyone have a rice cooker?  What are your thoughts on it? 

2 comments:

  1. Hey Laura Merrill! I love your blog and had to post a comment on this one. When Bill and I first got married I had his parents over for dinner and I cooked something with rice....I had no clue how to cook! I burnt two pots and had to throw the entire pot away...it was THAT bad!! The next day Mr. Charles surprised me with a rice cooker and I have cooked perfect rice ever since! So needless to say my vote is YES on the rice cooker!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Laura Merrill! I love your blog and had to post a comment on this one. When Bill and I first got married I had his parents over for dinner and I cooked something with rice....I had no clue how to cook! I burnt two pots and had to throw the entire pot away...it was THAT bad!! The next day Mr. Charles surprised me with a rice cooker and I have cooked perfect rice ever since! So needless to say my vote is YES on the rice cooker!

    ReplyDelete