11/30/11

Rice Fail (Easy Slow Cooker Jambalaya)

You know what makes this dish so special?  The crunchy rice.  Well, the crunchy rice and the french bread.  Win braved the dramatic drop in temperature and misty rain a few nights ago to pick that loaf up.  Thanks, girl. 

Crunchy rice aside, there is nothing wrong with this.  Sausage.  Shrimps.  Veggies.  Chicken thighs.  Wait, what?  Chicken thighs?  Yes. Chicken thighs.  I just went with it.  Strayed away from my trusty, lesser of two evils boneless, skinless, trimmed chicken breast and went with the chicken thighs.  Turns out, they really stand up in a crock pot.  Huh.  Who knew.  Filing that away under awesome.


Ok so let's talk about crunchy rice for a hot minute.  This rice was not supposed to be crunchy.  I was supposed to add the rice to the crock pot thirty minutes before it was done, crack the heat up to high, and wait for fantastic results.  Well.  Of course it didn't work because I still can't cook rice. Crossing my fingers for a rice cooker.  Next time I make this, and there will be a next time, I'll cook the rice separately and then just add it in.  But maybe you'll have better luck!

Easy Slow Cooker Jambalaya

2 lb of boneless skinless chicken thighs
14 oz of smoked Turkey sausage, sliced
1 large onion, chopped
1 large bell pepper, chopped
3 stalks of celery, chopped
1 28 oz can of diced tomatoes with juice
3 cloves of garlic, chopped
2 cups of chicken broth
1 tbl of Tony's
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp dried oregano
1 lb large shrimp (peeled and deveined)
1 3/4 cups of long grain rice

Combine all ingredients except for shrimp and rice in a crock pot.  Cook on low for five hours.  Add the shrimp and rice, increase heat to high, cook for 30 minutes more.

Serving size 1 cup (makes about 13 servings)
Points plus 6
Pin It

1 comment:

  1. Dern. I hate it when my rice flops. I've had crunchy rice more times than I care to count.

    Good for Win braving the wintery weather for bread.

    ReplyDelete