11/23/11

Work With What You Got Meat Sauce

Sometimes you gots to go with what you got.  Even when it's really random. And a little redneck. 

Such was the case with Monday nights supper.  I had some beef and some jarred pasta sauce and was wanting to work from that.  Of course it turned out to be to much meat and not enough sauce so I had to do some improvising.  Some SERIOUS improvising.  What turned out to be the star ingredient? 

Sidebar:  Anyone got any fabric suggestions for curtains to match my lovely counter tops? 

Why it was this garlic sea salt grinder. Brandon bought this a while back, I immediately claimed it a wasteful purchase and forgot about it.  Weeeeell he was right and I was wrong.  With all of the canned-ness and jarred-ness going on in this, the garlic sea salt added a nice flavor.  I'm sure that fresh basil would have added a nicer flavor but hey...we're working with what we got, right?  

I'm not saying that you should run out and purchase the ingredients to make this exact dish.  What I am saying is that it's OK to put pizza sauce in your meat sauce.  At least, in my world it's OK.   

WWWYG Meat Sauce

1 lb lean ground beef
1/2 onion, chopped
1 clove of garlic, chopped
2 cups of light pasta sauce
1 small can of tomato paste
1 cup of pizza sauce
to taste:  garlic sea salt, salt, pepper, basil, parsley

Brown the beef, onion, and garlic.  Add the pasta sauce, the tomato paste, and the pizza sauce. Add seasonings to taste.  Simmer for a while to let everything blend.

Serving size 1/2 cup (makes about 8)
Points plus 4

No comments:

Post a Comment