12/13/11

The Awkward Girls Guide to Enjoying Your Wedding: Part II

So here's the second installment in my three part post about weddin' surviving and enjoying.  Part II deals mainly with that blissful weddin' weekend / day.


1.  Have someone to do your wedding bidding. Lucky for me, my maid of honor is also a college kid that had just finished finals.  She didn't really do my wedding bidding but she, along with Win, hung out with me and kept me entertained and focused the week of.  Chickey constantly said things like "pull out your list" when I found myself staring at the wall. 


2.  Enjoy your friends. It is so rare for all of my friends to be in one place these days.  Brandon's crew is the same way.  I am so grateful for the time I got to spend with them.  They are troopers, my ragtag crew.  They're pregnant, full time workers, recent moms, all that.  One of my goals for the weekend was to get to spend time with the ones that I love, I feel like I met that goal. 


3. But get enough sleep. Blue Mother Tupelo played at Webster's the night before we got married.  Wouldn't have missed that for anything!  My main problem, though, is that I can't sleep late.  I was up at five am, pestering my mom and my sister.  Then my mom kept telling me to close my eyes for "just five minutes." Lack of sleep was probably a factor in the wild and unexpected mood changes that occurred that day. 


4.  Plan the outfit that you will get dressed in. Gotta make sure that whatever you wear wont mess up that up do when you change.  So, in a perfect world I would have dressed to wed in a fresh Juicy Suit like Brittney Spears did when she became Mrs. Kevin Federline.  Or hell, at least a cute jean, sassy flat, and a relaxed button up from JCrew.  But of course I didn't really think about that and wound up with holy Toms, black fleece pants, and a button up flannel with rouched sleeves.  Did I mention that the flannel was a bit small?  It was.  However, Chickey's outfit takes the cake as she rocked jeans, cowboy boots, and a cropped zip up hoodie purchased at Lerner when it was in the Greenville Mall. She's a trooper, that Chickey.

5.  Remember to take your veil to the beauty shop.  I don't think there's any need to explain this one further. 


6.  Eat. I am a girl who loves to eat.  Everything, all the time.  I shock people regularly with the quantities of food that I can consume.  Not so on the weddin' day.  I had to force down a half a pimento cheese sandwich and barely touched the ocean water that Jen got me.  There's a possibility that my wild and unexpected mood changes could have been due to a blood sugar issue. 


7.  Know that the day might be a complete emotional roller coaster.  I'm kind of a loose cannon so I didn't really know how I'd feel on my wedding day.  For most of the day, I felt nothing.  Like I wasn't hungry, cold, nervous, excited.  I was kind of numb.  This, strangely, made me feel a little nutty but mainly I was just enjoying hanging out with my friends in the room we got ready in.  This all changed about 10 minutes before the wedding.  All of my bridesmaids had to leave the room and suddenly it was just me and the photographer.  I was terrified,not of the photographer but of the being without my ragtag bunch.  It was the strangest thing.  I awkwardly stared at him while he snapped my picture; he eventually announced that he was going to give me a minute.  So I sat there completely alone and freaked the freak out for about 4 minutes.  Then I decided that just wasn't going to cut it.  So i got up, picked a few things up around the room, poured myself a glass of Persecco, and reapplied my lipstick.  The nervousness was manageable and I was then told to come on out as it was time to get started.  I met my dad and watched my bridesmaids make their way into the sanctuary.  Dad and I went and hid behind a (glass) door until it was time to walk out.  Right before the doors were opened I felt the strangest feeling of calm and joy wash over me. The rest of the ceremony was a freaking blast.  I didn't feel nervous, I just felt happy to be with Brandon listening to the ceremony.  I didn't even wig when I couldn't figure out my left from my right OR when we realized that my hands were too swollen to get my wedding band on. 

8.  Take something.  Speaking of emotional roller coasters....identify extreme feelings and deal with them appropriately.  Take a minute by yourself, take a pill of sorts, take a seat, take a sip of water, take the opportunity to ignore people.  Figure out what you need and take it. 

9.  Pick your battles.  I'm not going into details about this one.  Just pick your battles.  At your wedding, in life, etc. 

10.  Completely ignore people if necessary.  It's kind of amazing what people will fly in a ask you / yell at you minutes before you get married.  Really, it is. 

11.  Completely ignore parts of the day that freak you out.  The flowers between the layers of my cake were forgotten.  This meant that when you laid eyes upon her, the first thing that you saw were the 1982 plastic columns.  But I can say this...it was one of the best cakes I've ever eaten so the columns really didn't matter.   

12.  Stop what your doing, look around, and take in the moment.  I did this several times during the day and I'm so glad I did!  These moments are like little snapshots in my mind and help me to remember people laughing, visiting, eating, and drinking. 

13.  If you don't want to do something, don't do it.  I wasn't real wild on the idea of throwing the bouquet and the garter, so we didn't.  Everyone appears to have survived despite us ignoring this tradition.

14.  Bring a cute, yet sensible shoe to change into.  So after we left the reception, we went straight to the Alluvian.  I rocked my dress for a bit and then changed into a short little white number.  It was swingy, it was cute, and I could use the restroom without assistance.  I was pumped.  I left my blue shoes on for a while then realized that not only could I not feel my feet anymore, but I was also walking like something was wrong with me. So I changed into those unfortunate Toms I was telling you about. Win looked down at my feet and said, "Oh, no, really?  Not even like a cute gold flat or something?"  No.  It was all I had.  Fail. 

15.  Have a blast.  Previously stated snarky comments aside, I had so much fun on our wedding day.  Brandon did, too.  Seriously, the happiest day of my life.  It rocked!


Here we are leaving the reception.  I look like I'm about to throw down my mink and jump someone, Brandon just looks bewildered.  But I still love this photo!  Thanks to Aunt Mary Margaret for taking it!  And that's snow in my hair, not a crown.  

3 comments:

  1. i'm thankful for this series of posts. i need to hear it, and also show parts of it to members of my family! and lol at win and your toms. i love that girl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your positive outlook on all things!

    ReplyDelete