12/6/11

Ornament Swap Toffee

Last night was our starting to become an annual Christmas ornament swap.  It's a great time to come together with friends and come away with some sweet tree jewelry.  I scored this:


The big pink one, not the tiny cupcake.  Win gave me that tiny cupcake a few years ago...isn't it just the sweetest? 

Speaking of things that are the sweetest, let's talk about toffee.  If you stopped in for last "A Few on Friday" post, you heard me ramble on about wanting toffee.  Well.  Instead of just talking about it, I decided to take the bull by the hornes and try my best at making it.  Yeah, maybe there's a loftier goal that I should attempt but oh well.  

Toffee.  The process can be a little scary at times, but overall it's not bad!  You can do it!  This was someone named Utahna's toffee recipe, I went rogue and am calling it Ornament Swap Toffee.  Seeing as how she (the toffee, not Utahna) made her Greenwood debut at this party, it seemed only right. 

Sorry, Utahna. 


Ornament Swap Toffee
from Red Couch Recipes

1 cup of pecans
1 cup of salted butter, cut up
1 cup of sugar
3 tbl of water
milk chocolate morsels

Preheat oven to 350.  Roast pecans for around 10 minutes.  Remove from the oven, break them up into pieces, and place them in a small-ish baking dish.  I used an 11 inch pie plate (that's all I got) but you could do something like an 8x8 baking dish.  Set it aside. 

Ok so here's the candy making part.  Make sure that you can give this stuff about 12 minutes of your undivided attention...no walking away.  Or trying to change the song on your itunes. And look alive because I may or may not have had 2 small fires while making this.   But don't be scared...dive in there and do it.  

Place the butter, the sugar, and the water in a medium sauce pan. Turn the heat to high and begin stirring.  Keep stirring and stirring and stirring with a wooden spoon.  What will happen is the candy will turn start to change colors.  Your goal is for it to be an amber color and to start to lift away from the sides of the pan as your stir it.  Mine took about 11 minutes.  

Once it's done, pour it over the pecans in the baking dish.  Do not scrape it out of the pan, just pour it.  Scraping could cause crystallization...which sounds scary.  Allow the candy to cool, about 8 minutes.  Pour the chocolate over the candy, however much you want but enough to cover the whole thing.  Allow it to start to soften, take a fork and spread it out.  

Allow chocolate to completely harden.  I stuck mine in the fridge to speed this process up.  

Once it has hardened, flip the dish upside down on top of some parchment paper.  Beat on the bottom of the dish until it pops out.  Break the candy up and enjoy. 

I didn't line my dish with anything, nor did I spray it with anything...the candy just came out.  Also, I saw the words "crystallization" and "sugaring" several times while I was researching this.  I still don't know exactly when this means other than you are screwed if it happens.  I crossed my fingers that it wouldn't sugar or crystallize; this turned out to be a good method for me. 

Someone call a dentist, I might have been bitten by the candy making bug! 

Happy Tuesday!

   




 
Pin It

1 comment:

  1. Looks delicious! I have an easy revipe that uses saltines! I know all the last minute details are coming together!

    ReplyDelete