1/18/12

My Scone Store (Skinny Chocolate Chip Buttermilk Scones)

I think I'm going to quit my job and open up a scone store.  Who's with me??  

It would be a blast.  We could use silpats and experiment with interesting flavor combinations and drink coffee all day long.  There would be t-shirts made and a reading nook and we could do yoga three times a day. It would be a happy place, my scone store. Dogs would be allowed, bad attitudes wouldn't. I've got to come up with a name.  Be thinking....

This is sounding good.

Until I can open the scone store, we'll all have to settle for these...  
  

Buttermilk chocolate chip scones. Everyone together now.....hell yeah

And guess what!  They're point friendly!  And not to hard to make!  And did I mention that they taste amazing?? 

No go on, get your silpat and your flour and get to work!

Skinny Chocolate Chip Buttermilk Scones

3/4 cup of cold buttermilk
1/4 cup of sugar
2 tsp of vanilla extract
1 large egg
1 cup of all purpose flour
1 cup of white whole wheat flour
1 tbl baking powder
1/2 tsp of salt 
3 tbl of chilled butter, cut up (make sure it's cold!)
3/4 cup of chocolate chips
1 large egg white, lightly beaten
1 1/2 tbl of sugar

Preheat oven to 375.  Combine the first four ingredients, stir with a whisk and set aside.  

Combine the flour, baking powder, salt with a whisk.  Cut in the butter.  If you have a pastry blender, use that.  But chances are you don't.  So cut it in with two knives OR dive in there with your paws and crumble the butter up.  You are wanting the mixture to resemble coarse corn mill.  Gently fold in chocolate chips.  Stir in wet ingredients until just moist.  

Place the dough on a floured surface and kneed about 4 times with floured hands.  (You know I just typed "flowered" and had to erase it)  Place it on a greased baking sheet (or silpat) and cut it into 12 equal pieces.  

Bake for 18 - 20 minutes or until done.  

Serving size 1 scone
Points plus 5 

Pin It

2 comments:

  1. I bet these are wonderful right out of the oven all warm with a cup of coffee! Now I want to leave work and make some and have coffee! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I could really use one of those right now! I'm so behind on my blog reading-- congratulations on your new last name! Hope it's all been bliss!

    ReplyDelete