1/16/12

Parmesan - Roasted Broccoli

I've said it before and I'll say it again.  Square meals are not my strength.  I'll do a bang up job with a casserole or a soup, but if it requires two sides and a bread then we're all out of luck.

However, just because something is not your strength it doesn't mean that you should just give it up all together!  Today's recipe is a recent attempt at a square meal.  We had a simple pork tenderloin (pre-marinated, sue me) and some broccoli.  Brandon also had a yeast roll, which was festive for him.  I'm not jealous. 

I'm sharing with you today the broccoli recipe.  It's a recipe from Ina Garten that I played around with to make a little more point friendly.  It was pretty tasty, even with me forgetting to salt and pepper it. Why is it so hard for me to remember to add salt and pepper, the two most basic cooking ingredients on this earth?  Who knows.... 


Roasted Parmesan Broccoli
adapted from Ina Garten

2 lbs of broccoli
3 cloves of garlic, sliced
2 1/2 tbl olive oil, divided
1 1/2 tsp salt 
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 tsp lemon zest
1 tbl fresh lemon juice
1/6 (is that possible?  I'm going to 1/2 of 1/3 of a cup.) cup of Parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.  Cut the broccoli up, discarding the thick stalks.  You could wash it, but I didn't.  I agree with the person that said "If it doesn't die in a 425 degree oven, then it deserves to get me." 

Spread the broccoli out in a single layer on a baking sheet.  Toss with 2 tbl of olive oil, salt, and pepper.  Roast for 20 - 25 minutes or until crisp tender and the tips of some of the broccoli is brown.

Remove from the oven and immediately top with the lemon zest, lemon juice, Parmesan cheese, and remaining olive oil.  Serve warm. 

Serving size 1/4 of recipe
Points plus 5

**It's worth mentioning that this might seem a bit high in points for broccoli.  However, when you plug broccoli into the recipe builder it assigns a point value to it even though in theory it's a "free food." Some people don't count vegetables when they cook, I do.  I feel like it gives me an extra cushion if I need it.  



No comments:

Post a Comment