1/12/12

Slightly Redneck Vegetable Soup

For starters, I'm going to make myself a light box.  These wintry evenings are making it hard for me to get the quality I'm looking for in a food picture.  I mean, I really want you to be able to see the slight sheen atop this vegetable soup. Or on second thought....maybe someone will build me a light box.  Yes.  That would probably be the better solution.  

Or I could just not worry about it.  Which is probably the route I'll take.  Because sometimes I get the lazies.  Or all the time.  All the time I get the lazies. 

This is probably why I was such a fan of this slightly redneck vegetable soup.  I made it when Brandon got broke down with a chest cold in the beginning of the week.  He was so sad and sniffly, sounded reminiscent of a baby seal.  It was almost bad enough for me to sleep in the guest bedroom.  I decided against it, however, after realizing that our bed is way more comfortable.  


But I'm getting off the subject.  Slightly redneck vegetable soup is perfect for when you want a quick and comforting supper; added bonus is it gets better with time and is cheap to make.  


The slightly redneck part? That's because it's made with lots of frozen and pre cut things.  And it's got that layer of sheen on top....     



Slightly Redneck Vegetable Soup
adapted from Allrecipes

1 lb of lean ground beef
4 cups of fat free chicken broth
4 cups of water
2 envelopes of onion soup mix
1 15 oz can of tomato sauce
2 stalks of celery, chopped
1 onion, chopped
16 oz of frozen mixed vegetables
3 oz of dry whole wheat pasta

Brown the meat, set aside. 

In a large pot, combine the broth, water, soup mix, tomato sauce, celery, onion, and vegetables.  Bring it to a boil.  Add in the pasta and cook until done.  I followed the instructions and cooked to al dente.  

Stir in the hamburger meat.  

Serving size 1 cup (makes about 14 servings)
Points plus 3


Serve with a grilled cheese or a cheese quesadilla for assured awesomeness.  


Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment