4/24/12

Party Pecans :: Two Ways

I love a sense of community.  I think that's why I love a small town.  And why I love church.  Aside from meeting my spiritual needs, my church also serves as a sense of community.  


Being a Greenwood transplant and an introvert, I felt a little reluctant about diving in and getting involved.  Loving to use food as a coping skill, I've dealt with this anxiety by signing up to bring food to things.  If that's wrong, I don't want to be right.  


My church recently hosted an Antique Show.  It was lovely.  There was a preview party the night before it started; I signed on to bring pecans.  Because who doesn't love a pecan?  


Actually?  Me.  I don't love a pecan.  Or didn't love a pecan. I do now.  Especially ones that are smothered in things like butter and sugar. Delish.  


So here ya' go!  Party pecans....two ways!




Toasted Pecans
recipe from Mary Neff who got it from Seasoned With Love (The Hollandale First United Methodist Church's Cookbook) 


1/2 cup of butter
4 tsp worchestershire
1 tbl of garlic salat
1/2 tsp tobasco
4 cups of pecan halves


Preheat the oven to 300. 


Melt the butter in a skillet.  Add the rest of the ingredients except for the pecans.  Mix well and then add the pecans.  Spread on a large baking sheet and bake at for thirty minutes.  I stirred mine half way through. 


Remove from the oven and spread them out on paper towels to dry.  




Spiced Pecans 
recipe from my sister Jennifer who I think got it from a Starkville JA Cookbook.  I should find out for sure, huh? 


1 tsp of water
1 egg white
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp cinnamon
1 cup of sugar
1 lb of pecan halves


Preheat oven to 300.  


Beat the egg white and the water together until it is foamy.  Add in the salt, nutmeg, cinnamon, and sugar.  Combine well.  Stir in the pecan halves.  


Place on a big cooking sheet and bake for thirty minutes, stirring half way through.  


Remove from heat and spread out on paper towels to dry. 







3 comments:

  1. Southern Generations is the name of the cookbook. Starkville JA

    ReplyDelete
  2. i currently have approximately one million pecans in bags and boxes hidden throughout my kitchen cabinets. seriously. you couldn't have more perfect timing.

    ReplyDelete