5/8/12

Cucumber Salad

Do you have any idea how difficult it is to try to carry 6 large cucumbers?  It's tricky.  Add in an onion, a tomato, a bunch of bananas, and some bottles of various spices and it's damn near impossible.   


Thanks to that slightly aggressive greeter at the Greenwood Wal Mart, I was able to make it to check out without dropping any of my loot.  

She suggested that next time I get a buggy.  Thanks, girl.  Thanks for that input.  

This balancing act was all worth it when the ingredients came together to make a delightful and crunchy and fresh tasting cucumber salad.

Would you agree that nothing screams summer like a nice cucumber salad?  And since it's already oppressively hot in my neck of the woods I felt as though it was time.  


I might need to put some of those slices on my eyes.  Kind of feeling a little puffy these days.

Also, guys, be warned that this makes 14 cups.  That's a ridiculous amount of cucumber salad, so you might want to plan accordingly.  


Cucumber Salad 

6 large cucumbers, sliced
1 tomato, chopped
1 onion, chopped
1 tbl of salt
1/2 cup of cider vinegar
4 tbl canola oil
2 tbl honey
1 tsp celery salt
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp ground mustard
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp of salt (or to taste)
1/2 tsp dried oregano
a few dashes of cayenne pepper

Place a large strainer in the sink.  Put the cucumbers in there and sprinkle the tablespoon of salt all over them.  Let them sit for around thirty minutes.  The salt is supposed to pull the water out of the cucumbers.  When the 30 minutes is up, rinse the cucumbers well and put them in a HUGE bowl.  Add the onion and the tomato.  

In a small bowl, combine the vinegar, oil, honey, celery salt, dried basil, mustard, garlic powder, salt, oregano, and cayenne pepper.  Combine well with a whisk.  Pour over the cucumbers and toss well. 

Serving size 1 cup (makes 14 servings)
Points plus 2  

1 comment:

  1. I can't wait to try this refreshing salad I've been hearing so much about!! Gah, I miss you ghi...I think you need to trek on over to Memphrica next weekend....

    ReplyDelete