5/22/12

Flatbread with Gorgonzola, Figs and Proscuitto

People that are good at picking out thoughtful gifts rock.  I am not the best at picking out thoughtful gifts.  I try, sometimes I score big (hello Phish tickets for Brandon) but often I flop.  Like that time I got my sister a loaf of bread and a candle for her birthday.  Which is strange.  The gals at the Viking Cooking School were more than a little confused. Especially when I asked that they wrap it up together.  


But I'm rambling.  


So back to good gift giving.  We got so many lovely and thoughtful and special gifts when we got married.  I've loved things I never thought I'd love (a dust buster) and used things I never thought I'd use.  My most recent favorite has been this:



This cookbook, Day in the Country, arrived at our doorstep a few weeks after we got married with a note from our good friends Mary Margaret and Barry White. Mary Margaret had written us saying that she thought our wedding ceremony was so sweet and special and she wanted us to have this cookbook from Chapel of the Cross Episcopal Church to remind us of how sweet and special it was.  Now that's not word for word, but it went something like that. 

I absolutely cannot get enough of this cookbook.  It sat under a stack of magazines for a few months until i recently unearthed it when cleaning and organizing.  Since then, I've tried several recipes, all of which have been awesome. I even fell asleep with it on my chest one night, dreaming of poppy seed bread.  

I wish I was kidding about that last part, but I'm not.

I was able to try out a new recipe from this little jewel recently for Swayze's Sip and See, and it absolutely did not disappoint.  And I felt fancy making it, which is always a plus. Flatbread with gorgonzola, figs and prosciutto...let's be friends forever. 


Flatbread with Gorgonzola, Figs and Proscuitto
from Day in the Country

1 6.5 oz package of pizza crust
1/2 cup fig preserves
1/2 cup crumbled gorgonzola cheese
4 oz thinly sliced prosciutto
salt and pepper
2 tbl olive oil

Preheat oven to 425.  Prepare the pizza crust according to the package directions and pat out into flat oval shape on baking sheet that has been sprayed with cooking spray. Brush crust with olive oil and bake for five minutes.  Remove from the oven and spread the fig preserves on top.  Sprinkle with the gorgonzola and top with prosciutto.  Sprinkle with salt and pepper and top with some additional olive oil.  Return to the oven and bake for 10 minutes or until the prosciutto is crispy.  Cut into squares and serve.  

Makes 12-16 squares 
    

1 comment: