5/30/12

Poppy Seed Bread

I love the act of taking food to a friend.  

Maybe it's because when people bring me food, I get real fired up.  

I mean, you could bring me a bag of lays potato chips and I'd give you a big hug.  

But then I'd ask you to take said lays potato chips back because I just can't be trusted with them.  

But I'm rambling. 

Here is some poppy seed bread that I made a few weeks ago.  One loaf went to a friend and her family in celebration of their sweet new baby boy and the other loaf went to the church luncheon that was held in honor of my priest and his family. 


You see that lemon glaze?  That is powdered sugar and lemon juice.  Um, hello.  I love you.  Don't ever change. 

Below is an example of why you should always keep your fabric scraps.  When I realized that my only option of presentation was aluminum foil, I attempted to get creative.  I mean with that aluminum foil I might as well have just thrown it at the baby's head and said 'good luck.' No, that wont do.  Wax paper + a strip of fabric = acceptable loaf presentation.  


Poppy Seed Bread
from Day in the Country


Cake:
3 cups of all purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
2 cups of sugar
a 1/2 cup of milk
1 cup of canola oil
2 tbl poppy seeds
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 tsp almond extract
1 1/2 tsp butter extract
2 tsp lemon zest


Glaze:
3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
1 tsp butter extract
1 tsp almond extract
1 tsp vanilla extract
juice from one lemon


Preheat oven to 350.  


In a large bowl, stir together flour, baking powder and sugar.  Add eggs, milk, oil, poppy seeds, extracts and lemon zest.  Mix well with a wooden spoon. Place in two greased loaf pans and cook for 50-60 minutes (check at 45 minutes).  Let cool for 15 minutes in pans.  While cooling, combine all glaze ingredients in a small bowl.  Remove bread fro pans to cooling rack that has been set on a baking sheet.  Poke holes in bread with a toothpick and pour glaze over the top of the loaves while still warm.  


Makes two loaves. 



No comments:

Post a Comment