7/3/12

Basic Cooked Field Peas

This past weekend, I spent some time melting at our local farmers market.  I also helped give out bike helmets to kids, but I mainly just melted.  And ate a biscuit.  And drank frozen lemon aid.  Mmmmm. 


While doing all of these things, I spent some time looking around at all the bounty being sold, wishing I had some clue of what I could do with it all.  Then I remembered that I did!  Remember that cookbook I got for my birthday last year?  Yeah, I didn't either.  Until I did.  I'm glad I remembered, because it's genius!  The book is divided into ingredients.  Like there's a section on field peas, okra...you get my drift!
 
I had purchased some peas from the farmers market and decided that they would be my first adventure.  Let's call them field peas.  Yes, let's.  
While searching for ingredients for this recipe, I realized that I didn't have any thyme.  This led the following scene from SBTB to come to mind ------>


There's no time!  There's never any time!  There's no time to study!  I'll never get into Harvard!  Wait I'll just take some of these.....


Anyone?  Anyone?  Yes, you remember.  That episode where Jessie gets hooked on caffeine pills.  Jessie.  Girl.  Don't do that.  We often learned from SBTB that there's no hope with dope.  


Instead of developing an uppers addiction, I simply decided to leave the thyme out.  Probably safer that way.  I also made up for not having enough chicken broth by using beef broth and almost forgot the bacon!  Everyone survived, no one complained.  And by no one, I mean neither me nor my herzband.  
Simple.  Fresh.  Delish.  Go on now, go support your local farmers market!  And maybe buy that book.  And watch SBTB. 
Basic Cooked Field Peas

3 cups fresh field peas
1 onion, sliced in half and skin removed
2 bay leaves 
1 tsp hot sauce
1 tsp salt (or more to taste)
3 slices of bacon
4 cups of chicken broth

Rinse the peas  until the water runs clear.  Add them to a large sauce pan.  Add in the onion, hot sauce, salt, bacon, and broth.  There should be about an inch of liquid on top of the peas, add water if needed. 

Bring to a boil, skim the foam from the top of the liquid.  Reduce to a simmer and cook for 15-45 minutes or until tender.  I checked mine at 15, then kept checking every 10 minutes or so.  They went about 35 minutes.  Cooking time will depend on how fresh the peas are.  

Remove from heat, cover, and allow to sit for about 30 minutes.  This lets the peas soak up all of the goodness.  

Remove the onion, bay leaf and bacon and serve. 

Serving size 1/2 cup (makes about 6 servings)
Points plus 2

**This point calculation is very much a guess.  When I tallied the points, I only counted one slice of bacon since they were all three taken out.  I counted one slice to account for the fat they left behind!  Shooting in the dark here, people.  


No comments:

Post a Comment