7/9/12

Old Fashion Macaroni Salad

I feel like Fourth of July, along with Christmas and Thanksgiving, are go big or go home food holidays.  Well I went big, not home, with my contribution to the F.O.J. shin-dig that I attended.  And I'm wasn't the only one.  There were hot tamales, dips, slaws, cookies and ribs made with people's grandmother's rubs.  You stop it, passed down family recipes. 


My dish was maybe an old family recipes.  It all depends on whether you believe the Neely's use only old family recipes on their show.  I don't know.  I've never really thought about it.  And chances are, I'm not going to think about much more past the end of this sentence.


Well darn.  Now I can't stop thinking about it.  


So maybe this can become your old fashion family recipe.  It just might become mine!  Macaroni salad lovers rejoice!  This is a good one.  I thought the salad would be a bit creamer but it's not.  It's pretty mustardy.  But it's good.  Real good.     
Old Fashion Macaroni Salad

4 eggs
1 lb elbow macaroni
4 oz ham steak, finely chopped
1 onion, chopped (or a shallot, if you can find it!)
2 stalks of chopped celery
2 tbl fresh lemon juice
2/3 cup of mayonnaise
2 tbl Dijon mustard
1 jar pimentos, drained
3 tbl sweet pickle relish
salt and pepper

Boil the eggs using your preferred method.  Peel, chop and add to a very large salad-esq bowl.  Cook pasta according to the package directions.  Drain, cool and add to bowl.  Add the onion, ham, celery and lemon juice.  Tawss.   

To make the dressing, combine the mayo, mustard, pimentos, relish, salt and pepper.  Stir well and toss with the pasta.  

Chill for at least two hours before serving.  


No comments:

Post a Comment