7/5/12

Small Skillet Buttermilk Cornbread

There are lots of things that I don't know how to do that most southern women know how to do.  Handle a weapon. Polish silver.  Make cornbread.  


Since it doesn't look like I'm getting a weapon or a jar of polish any time soon,  I think I'll try my hand at cornbread.  Again. 


For my birthday this year, my dear friend Emily got me a small cast iron skillet.  I was pretty freaking jazzed about this as it's the first cast iron skillet that I've ever been able to call my own.  I shall call her Cassandra.  Or Cassie.  Or Carla.  What do you think? Or maybe a double name?  We can revisit this.  


I want to name her because I want her to become a big part of my kitchen team.  After those field peas this week, I'd also like to get waaaay more into learning southern comfort food. This can't happen unless Cassandra-Cassie-Carla and I become tight.  Real tight.  


So the skillet that Em gave me is a baby skillet, hence the small skillet buttermilk cornbread title.  It's a version of a recipe I found online.  The reviews say it's yankee cornbread; I can't say either way.  I'm new to this game.  Or maybe not new to it, more like a complete failure at this game.  


Someone, somewhere, just revoked my Delta card. 


Cast iron skillet information, along with name suggestions, would be greatly appreciated!   
Small Skillet Buttermilk Cornbread
adapted from AllRecipes 


1/4 cup of butter
2 1/2 tbl of sugar
1/2 cup of buttermilk
1/2 cup of cornmeal
1/2 cup of flour
1/4 tsp salt
1 egg


Preheat the oven to 350.  Melt the butter in your cast iron skillet.  Combine the rest of the ingredients in a small bowl, add the melted butter.  Combine.  Return to skillet.  


Cook for about 18 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.  Cut into four equal slices.  Yeah, I know it's a big slice.  I love my cornbread!  


Serving size 1 slice (makes about 4)
Points plus 8 (worth it)


When cut into 8 slices, it's 4 points a slice.  But you probably figured that out already.  

1 comment:

  1. to me, sweet cornbread = yankee cornbread.

    was this sweet?

    ReplyDelete