7/26/12

Toasted Sesame Quinoa

Quinoa.  (Keen-wah).  (I think). 

The first time I made it, it was a complete and total disaster. Like burned the meal, almost cut my middle finger off, disaster.  So much of a disaster that I was pretty reluctant to try it again.  But, then I realized that home girl from How Sweet It Is makes it a lot.  I've never tried anything of hers that I didn't like; I figured it would all be good in the hood.  

And I was right.  It was all good.  In the hood.  And the 'wood. 

Soooooo go get yourself a box of quinoa.  And then tell me what you did with it.  Inquiring minds, they want to know.        
Toasted Sesame Quinoa

1 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 tbl toasted sesame oil
1/2 tbl olive oil
2 cups chicken broth
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
6 green onions, sliced
2 tbl toasted sesame seeds

dressing:
3 tbl olive oil
2 tbl toasted sesame oil
2 tsp soy sauce

Heat a sauce pan over medium heat and add 1/2 tbl of sesame oil and olive oil.  Add garlic and quinoa and stir to coat; toast for 3 - 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add in chicken broth and raise heat to high, bringing the quinoa to a boil.  Reduce to a simmer and cover, cooking for 15 minutes or until water is absorbed and quinoa can be fluffed with a fork.  Whisk together dressing ingredients and set aside.  

Add in the chicken, green onions and dressing; toss well to coat.  Add in sesame seeds and toss once more.  Divide into four equal portions and serve!

Serving size 1/4 of recipe
Points plus 12

1 comment:

  1. my favorite part of cooking quinoa is saying the word many, many times. and enunciating. cause quinoa is a fun word.

    ReplyDelete