8/9/12

Caramelized Pineapple Quesadilla

Did I tell you that my light box broke?  Did you even know about my light box?  Well I had a light box for taking pictures of food.  It was pretty awesome until something (a picture, maybe?) fell on top of it and crushed it.  

I'm going to make another one, though.  Maybe.  I just need a big box.  Bare (bear?) with me as we go back to semi-wonky food photography unless the sun is totally out and beaming.   

In the meantime, let's look at black and white photos of caramelized pineapples.  

Hey!  If you've got a pineapple and some time on your hands, you should caralize said pineapple.  You will not regret it. 
Just how I don't regret getting my eye brow pierced that time. 

Yes.  That happened.  You should ask my dad about it.  He loooooves that story. 

But not as much as I love this meal.  Caramelized pineapple quesadillas.  Hey, girl from How Sweet It Is....have I told you lately that you're my hero?  Come to Greenwood.  Let's eat dips, drink wine and gab.  

Did you know that those are three out of my five favorite things in life?  True story. 
Caramelized Pineapple Quesadillas
adapted from How Sweet It Is

2 cups of fresh pineapple, chopped
3 tsp coconut oil *
1/8 tsp salt
1/8 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 onion, chopped
1/2 pablano pepper, seeded and diced
1 boneless, skinless chicken breast, cooked and shredded
3 oz part skim monzarella cheese
4 flour tortillas **

In a medium skillet, heat 1 tsp of coconut oil.  Add the pineapple, cinnamon and salt.  Cook for about 8 minutes, tossing occasionally.  Transfer the pineapple to a bowl.  Add the onion and the pepper to the skillet, cook for about three minutes.  Add it to the bowl with the pineapple.  Toss the chicken in there, too.  

Wipe out the skillet and turn the heat to medium low.  Add 1 tsp of coconut oil to the skillet.  Layer as follows:  tortilla, half of cheese, half of pineapple and chicken, tortilla.  Cook until golden brown.  

You can try to not let any of the ingredients fling themselves out but it's probably not going to work out for you.  

Repeat with remaining ingredients.

Serving size 1 quesadilla
Points plus 15

Notes: 
*I have a huge tub of coconut oil now if anyone needs to borrow it. 

**Next time I might use a jumbo tortilla.  OR make this serve four.  It was a lot of filling. But I made it work.  So did B.  We were good. It was good.  Everything was good. 

***This was supposed to be topped with cilantro.  But I forgot it.  Bummer 2012.  

No comments:

Post a Comment