8/27/12

Homemade Funfetti Cupcakes

Sometimes, I mess with a good thing.  I try to fix things that aren't broken.  

Sometimes it doesn't work.  Like that time that I made homemade Reeses' Eggs.  HELLO.  Why?  They were messy, time consuming and tasted like I was getting after a box of powdered sugar with a spoon.  I mean, that's not always a bad thing but wasn't exactly what I was looking for.

On the other hand, sometimes messing with a good thing can lead to some seriously awesome results.  Liiiike making funfetti cupcakes from scratch.  Hey there, awesome.  First introduced to me by Chickey, a box of funfetti cake mix is almost always is sitting in my cubbard.   

Which probably isn't a good thing, but whatever.  

Brandon asked me to make a little something special to thank the people that helped to ensure that Big Browne became the first four legged member of our family.  I perused my Pinterest "Sweets" board looking for something that was fun and festive, once I saw these cupcakes I knew that they 
had to happen.

 I wish I was one of those people that could just make things like cupcakes without the worry that I would accidentally eat them all.  Well.  I haven't ever eaten an entire batch of cupcakes but it could happen.  This is why I only make things like this if there is some sort of special occasion and I have to give them to someone else.  

What better to reason to celebrate than the acquisition of an Akita?

Sweet boy.  Sweet huge, wolf like, eats six cups of food a day boy.   

Eeeeeeee.  Things have gotten real.

But back to the cupcakes.  These are a little extra effort but completely worth it!  They didn't have your normal cupcake consistancy.  Nope.  It was an interesting mix between a cupcake and a butter cookie.  Have you ever had a butter cookie?  Pegs makes them from time to time and they are nothing short of one of the most amazing things on earth. 

Another good thing about this cupcake situation is that you probably have most of the ingredients already.  

Come on people.  There is no reason for you not to make them right this very minute.  Do it.   You wont regret it.  Well.  Unless you eat more than four.  You might regret that.  I'm not saying this from experience.  I just had one.  But I would imagine that if you ate four, you would regret it.  

Carry on.  
Homemade Funfetti Cupcakes

1/2 cup butter 
1 cup suger
2 eggs
1 tbl vanilla extract
1 1/2 cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/3 cup milk
1/3 cup of sprinkles plus more for topping (I like those hard round ones!)

Vanilla Buttercream

2 sticks of butter, softened
2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1 tbl vanilla extract
1 tbl milk, if needed

Preheat oven to 350.

Combine the butter and sugar until fluffy, about 3 minutes.  Add eggs and vanilla and beat until combined.  

In another bowl combine the flour and baking powder.  Add half of this mixture to the butter and sugar and combine well.  Add the milk.  Add the rest of the flour and combine. 

Pour into cupcake pans (lined with liners), about 2/3 full.  Bake for 18-20 minutes or until done.  Allow to cool.

To make the frosting, combine the butter, sugar and vanilla.  If it's to thick, add some milk.    

Once the cupcakes are cooled, frost.  Sprinkle extra sprinkles on top.  

Makes 12 cupcakes
13 pp each (eek!) (worth it!)
 

1 comment: