8/6/12

Slow Cooker Chicken Tikka Masalla

I've still got Indian food on the brain.  I haven't talked about it lately, mainly because I can't find the spices required at my small town grocery store.  But you know where you can find said spices?  At a spice store.  Like Penzy's Spices in Homewood, AL. 

There really are no words for how good it smelled in there.  There are also no words for how excited I was to find some garam masalla.  

Nerd alert.  Nerd alert.

Soooo. The first thing I've made with my GM is slow cooker chicken tikka masala.  The recipe is from Real Simple and it was quite good.  Don't think it's traditional tikka masala but it sure was tasty. And easy.  

I'm sure  you're thinking "Really girl? Pulled out the crock pot when it's 112 degrees outside?  Crock pots are for winter! I declare shenanigans!!"

Oh, that's not what you're thinking?  Sorry to assume.  So yeah, this dish was warm and creamy and lovely and wintery.  But then it also was topped with this crazy fresh and crazy good cucumber situation.  

Cilantro, lemon juice, cucumber.  

Amen.     
The main part of this dish was easy to put together as well as tasty as all get out.  It made me quite happy, hope it has the same effect on you!  I enjoyed mine over rice...you do whatever throws your skirt up.  
Slow Cooker Chicken Tikka Masala
adapted from Real Simple

1 15 oz can crushed tomatoes
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, chopped
2 tbl tomato paste
2 tsp garam masala
kosher salt and black pepper
1 1/2 lb boneless chicken thighs
1/2 cucumber, thinly sliced
1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves
1 tbl lemon juice
1/2 cup heavy cream

Combine the tomatoes, onion, garlic, paste, garam masala, salt and pepper in a crockpot.  Lat the chicken atop, cover, and cook until the chicken is tender (low for 7-8 hours, high for 3-4 hours). Stir in the heavy cream about 20 minutes before serving.  Shred the chicken thighs.  

In a small bowl, toss the cucumber, cilantro, lemon juice and 1/4 tsp each of salt and pepper.  

Serving size 1/2 cup (makes about 10)
Points plus 6

No comments:

Post a Comment