8/2/12

Sweet and Spicy Grilled Chicken Thighs

Did I tell you that my mom got me an awesome little grill for my birthday this year?  She did.  It's a Weber and I love it. Still don't quite know what to do with it, but I love it none the less. 

I'm trying though.  Well.  Kind of trying.  I've created a pinterest board called "Learning To Grill." That's trying, right?  I've also purchased tools.  Half way there, huh?  

When it comes to actually throwing something on the grill, I'm lost.  I have no idea how much charcole to use, no idea what constitutes medium heat, high heat, all that jazz.  I also can't figure out when things are done.  

But it'll change.  I'll get better.  Brandon and I both will. Right now, we do a lot of staring at each other and googl-ing things.  Like this:
I do love a cheat sheet.  And I've been pretty into that color combo as of late.  But that's beside the point.

So my last attempt at grilling was some chicken thighs.  I'd been eyeing the recipe for a while and finally decided to give it a try.  Of course it wasn't ready when I thought it would be and of course I started huffing and puffing and not using my words.  Brandon gently reminded me:

"It will be ready eventually.  It is going to cook." 

Grilling according to my sometimes-zen husband.  

I quit huffing, opened myself a cold Miller Lite and got comfortable.  

He was right.  They got ready eventually.  I'm glad I didn't give up and order pizza.  They were so good!!!!!  The spice rub was flavorful, the honey was such a nice treat.  

Two thumbs up from this griller!!  

(Or from this girl who delusionally just called herself a griller.)
Spicy Honey Chicken 

8 boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 2 lb)
2 tsp vegetable oil
1 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp hot chili powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp coriander
1 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp cumin
1/2 cup of honey
1 tbl cider vinegar

Place the chicken thighs in a large bowl.  Add the oil and toss them around, making sure all the thighs get coated. 

Add the garlic powder, chili powder, onion powder, coriander, salt and cumin.  Toss around, making sure all the thighs get coated.  

Preheat the grill to medium heat.  Try that hand trick if you'd like.  

Start grilling those thighs.  Heat the honey in the microwave for a few seconds.  Add in the vinegar and take it, along with a brush, out to your grill.  At the last few minutes of grilling, brush the honey over the thighs.  

Serving size one thigh (makes 8 servings)
Points plus 9 

No comments:

Post a Comment