9/13/12

Chicken Cheese Steaks

Guys.  I have an announcement.  And it goes a little something like this: 

I. LOVE. CHEESE STEAKS.  

This should surprise no one, really, as if a meal is cheesy and gooey and worthy of a "Heck Yeah!" I'm probably going to lurve it.  

I gotta say, though.  I haven't had a ton of cheese steaks in my day.  Guessing that it's because I don't live in Philly.  But I can say that it's been my experience that Lenny's makes a mighty fine one.  My hurz-band and I have been known to have a hot date or two at this sandwich shop,  when we feel sassy we will meet at the one in Cleveland on lunch breaks / class breaks.  

I usually just get the turkey sandwich.  Ya know.  Because I like pretending like I'm healthy.  But really, all I want is their chicken philly cheese steak.  And a cookie.  And mayyyyybe a Dr. Pepper!  

Eeeeek!

(This is why I have to count points)  
Homemade Chicken Cheese Steaks
adapted from How Sweet It Is

1.8 lb of boneless, skinless chicken thighs
1 1/2 tbl olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
1 onion, sliced
1 bell pepper, sliced
1/2 tbl flour
1/2 tbl butter
3/4 cup of fat free half and half
8 oz white cheddar cheese, shredded
6 wheat sub rolls 

Preheat oven to 400.  In a medium oven proof skillet, heat 1 tbl of oil over medium high heat.  Season the chicken with salt and pepper.  Sear, cooking for about 2 minutes on each side.  Place in the oven and roast for 15 minutes.  Remove from oven and let the chicken cool a bit.  Transfer it into a large bowl and shred it up.  

In a smallish skillet, heat the remaining 1/2 tbl of oil.  Add the onions and peppers, season with salt and pepper and cook until soft.  Add them in with the chicken.  

In a small sauce pan, melt the butter until its sizzling.  Add in the flour, stir constantly to create a roux; about 3 minutes or until brown and nutty smelling.  Pour in the half and half, bring to a bubble and let it thicken.  Add in 5 oz of the cheese, stir until melted. 

Tear off six sheets of foil.  To create a sandwich, place 1/6 of chicken/onion mixture on each roll, top with 1/6 of the cheese sauce and a handful of shredded cheese.  Roll it up super tight in the foil.  Repeat with remaining ingredients.  

Cook in a 300 degree oven for about 15 minutes.  

Serving size 1 sandwich (makes 6) 
Points plus 15

No comments:

Post a Comment