9/20/12

Chicken PIccata

**OK before I start rambling on about chicken piccata...do me a solid and say a quick prayer and / or send some positive energy for a sweet friend's baby boy King.  He's having a few surgeries at 9 am CST in Nashville today and you know what they say about prayers...the more the merrier!  Thanks a bunch** 

It is my belief that every situation in life can teach you something. 

For example.  From living and cooking and our little rental house I have learned that a vent-a-hood (is that what it's called?) is not just a fancy extra thing to have but a necessary thing to have.  And while I'm not blaming the burning of the chicken on our lack of vent-a-hood, I am blaming the smoke filled kitchen on it.

I also believe that I need to find some light bulbs that put off some light that is more natural in my light box.  I've built myself a new one, hoping that it doesn't get crushed by a falling anything this time.  

Anyone have light bulb suggestions?  Anyone?  I don't even remember what I have in there now.  But I'm sure it was cheap.  I'm sure I was all like "Ooohhh.  It doesn't matter. A light bulb is a light bulb don't you know!"  

Turns out, light bulbs are all very different creatures.  

But that's enough about light bulbs.  

Let's get back to supper.  Chicken Piccata to be exact.  I L-O-V-E a piccata.  Reminds of supper at Sherman's with my dad.  Only difference was that Sherman's wouldn't burn their piccata. 

Probably because they had a vent-a-hood....     
Chicken Piccata
adapted from Life As A Lofthouse

2 boneless skinless chicken breast, cut in half length wise to form four thin cutlets
1/2 cup Italian style bread crumbs
1 egg, beaten
2 tbl butter
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1 cup chicken broth, fat free
1/4 cup capers, rinsed
1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
8 oz whole wheat pasta
1 tbl butter
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Pour bread crumbs into a shallow bowl and egg into another shallow bowl.  Dredge each chicken breast through the egg then through the bread crumbs. 

Preheat a large skillet over medium high heat, melt one tablespoon of the butter.  Cook for 2-3 minutes on each side.  Melt 1 more tablespoon of butter and cook the other two chicken breasts.  Set aside and keep warm. 

Pour the lemon juice, chicken broth and capers into the skillet.  Stir and scrape up any of the brown bits.  Bring to a boil, reduce heat and allow to simmer for about five minutes.

Meanwhile, while all of this is happening, cook the pasta according to the package directions.  Drain.  Toss with Parmesan cheese and butter.  Top it all with some parsley. 

Serving size (makes 4) 1 chicken cutlet and 1/4 of pasta
Points plus 4

No comments:

Post a Comment