9/6/12

Crab Cakes

Guess what. 

The Mississippi delta does not have a large supply of fresh jumbo lump crab.  

Shocking, I know.  

What we do have, though, is people that evacuate up here from hurricaines.  

One of these particular people just happened to be a friend of Brandon's.  He traveled this way to stay with family and stopped by our house one afternoon for a visit and some wi-fi.  He is some sort of a food rep so it only made since that he presented Brandon with a few cans of jumbo lump crab meat.  I guess he travels with them?  I don't know.  I didn't ask questions.  

I must admit, I was a little guarded at this canned crab situation at first.  I got over it, though, as soon as I started to research crab cakes.  

Raise your hand if you love a crab cake!  Mines up, way up.  I bet Chickey's is up!  Who else?  

CRABBY CAKES!  So simple.  So 80s.  So awesome.  Whip them up, party people!  
Simple Crab Cakes
adapted from How Sweet It Is

1 lb jumbo lump crab meat
8 saltine crackers, crushed
salt and pepper, to taste
dash of cayenne pepper
1 tbl light mayonnaise
1 egg
1 tbl olive oil

Combine the crab, crackers, seasonings, egg and mayonnaise in a marge bowl.  Mix it up good, get in there with your hands!

Using a 1/3 of a cup measuring cup, form into individual cakes.  Mine made 7.  

Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.  Cook the cakes about 5 minutes on each side or until crispy.

Whip up a sauce of sorts and enjoy!  Or hell.  Just eat them with ketchup.   

Serving size 1 crab cake
Points plus 3 

1 comment: