9/26/12

Mushroom Risotto

Geeeeeze.  Risotto is a commitment.  Next time someone makes it for you, perhaps you should give them a big hug around the neck.  And perhaps you should come in mid way and offer to help stir.  

This risotto came about after I picked up some fish at the whole foods in Memphis.  For Brandon, it was a tuna steak and for me it was a piece of salmon.  

My salmon turned out disastrously and I don't even want to talk about it.  

Brandon's tuna turned out amazing and I'm happy to say that I am now a fan!  Can't wait to try it again.  We used this recipe as a starting point. 

Since my fish was such a flop, I just ate Brandon's tuna and loooooots of Risotto.  

After it was all said and done, I could have cared less about the salmon.  However, if the Risotto had been a flop, I might have gone and stood in traffic.  

Thank goodness there was wine to go with the stirring.  And Instagram.  And support from the Akita and the husband.  All of these things combined made errything OK. 

Mushroom Risotto...you have my heart forever.      
Mushroom Risotto
adapted from All Recipes

1 tbl olive oil
2 onions, finely chopped
1 clove of garlic, crushed
1 tsp minced fresh parsley
salt and pepper
1 1/2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
1 cup of whole milk
1/4 cup of heavy cream
1 cup of arborio rice
5 cups of vegetable stock
1 tsp butter
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Heat olive oil in a sauce pan over medium high heat.  Saute the onion and the garlic until the onion is tender.  Remove the garlic and stir in the parsley, salt, pepper and mushrooms.  Reduce heat to low and continue to cook until the mushrooms are soft.  

Pour the milk and cream in the pan and stir in the rice.  Heat to a simmer.  Stir the vegetable stock in, one cup at a time, until it is all absorbed and the risotto has thickened.  You have to stir constantly and for a while in between adding each up.  Towards the end, I started tasting in order to know when the rice was really done.  

Remove from heat and stir in the cheese and butter. 

I did not calculate the points on this one but according to WW Online, 1 cup of risotto is 11 points.    

No comments:

Post a Comment