9/19/12

Spinach and Quinoa

I believe that quinoa is the food of the fall.  Why?  Because. I have five pounds of it.  Soooo I'm making it the food of the fall.  That and pumpkin anything.  Bread.  Coffee.  OK, I can't think of anything else pumpkin-esq.  

Bread and coffee should do it. 

Speaking of pumpkin-esq things....have I ever shared with you Peggy's Pumpkin Bread recipe?  It's the business.  It's got, get this, cream cheese frosting.  Eeeeee!  It makes me giddy just to think about it! I'll look back in the archives and see.  If I haven't shared it then that needs to happen.  Stat.

In the meantime, whip up some of this quinoa and spinach.  
Quinoa and Spinach
from WW Online

1 tb olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
1 clove of garlic, chopped
1 cup quinoa, rinsed
1 cups fat free chicken broth
black pepper, to taste
crushed red pepper flakes, to taste
3 cups fresh baby spinach, coarsely chopped
salt, to taste

Heat oil in a large pan over medium heat.  Add onion and garlic and cook until onion is tender.

Add quinoa to the skillet.  Stir frequently and cook until golden brown, about two minutes.

Add broth, pepper and red pepper to the skillet and bring to a boil.  Cover and reduce heat to low and simmer for 13 minutes.  Stir in the spinach.  Cover skillet and cook until spinach and quinoa are tender and liquid is absorbed, about 3-5 minutes.  Season with salt. 

Serving size 1/2 cup (makes 8)
Points plus 3  



1 comment:

  1. I agree with you on the pumpkin- an old coworker once brought homemade pumpkin bread w/ cream cheese to spread on as a toping. Oh my, it was delightful. Of course, this comes from someone who could eat cream cheese with a spoon & be totally content. :)

    ReplyDelete