10/16/12

September Cookbook Club :: Baked Orzo with Peppers and Cheese

I almost forgot to tell you about cook book club!  Eeep!

Unfortunately, all I have is a few phone pictures.  I tried to edit them up all fancy, complete with text and various jazz, but I got frustrated about 3 minutes in and figured I'd just go bare bonezz.  

This picture is not all inclusive.  There were two apps that were really good as well as a dessert that brought tears to my eyes.  

Guys.  I wish I was kidding when I said that desserts sometimes bring tears to my eyes but I'm not...

Lets move on. 

We had a savory cheesecake, stuffed mushrooms, spicy vegetable soup, corn casserole, cheesy orzo with peppers, grilled dove and a ridiculous chocolaty ice cream situation.  And rolls.  Gotta love a roll. Especially a home made yeast one.  Be still, my heart.  

Soooooo.  My contribution was the cheesy orzo with peppers. I picked it because anything with cheesy in the name is automatically my favorite AND because I had all of the ingredients in my pantry already.  Well.  Almost all of the ingredients.  I thought I had roasted red bell peppers but really I had sun dried tomatoes.  Two jars of them, in fact.  All's well that ends well and the tomatoes worked out just fine.  Just fine indeed!  

PS.  People might say "Oh my, is that goat cheese?" when they taste this dish.  But really, it's just some trenchy sour cream and jack cheese mixed together.  This dish is all actin' fancy when really it's not.  My fave.     
Baked Orzo with Peppers and Cheese
from Prime Meridian

1 cup orzo
1/3 cup of roasted red bell peppers (or red bell pepper sauteed in butter)
1/3 cup mild green chilies, chopped
1 cup shredded Monterrey Jack cheese
1 cup sour cream
1 cup Parmesan cheese
2 tbl butter, cut into small pieces 

Preheat oven to 450. 

Cook the orzo according to the package directions.  Drain and dump it into a mixing bowl.  Add in the bell peppers, green chilies and Monterrey jack cheese.  Spread it into a casserole dish.  Top mixture with sour cream and Parmesan cheese.  Top with pieces of butter.  

Bake for 15 minutes or until or until the top is golden and puffy and the edges are bubbly.  Serve hot.   

No comments:

Post a Comment