10/17/12

Slow Cooker Chicken Taco Soup

You can tell when it's starting to get cold around here as there's always a run on ranch dressing packs up at the wal-mart.  

Why?  Well because a ranch dressing pack is one of the main ingredients in taco soup.  Taco soup.  Wonderful, glorious taco soup.   

Well a ranch packet was the main ingredient in taco soup until now.  Oh yeah.  Ranch packet-less taco soup.  Can you handle it?  I wasn't so sure I could handle it.  That ranch packet gives such a tubular twang to the soup that I wasn't to jazzed about letting it go.  

But I did it.  And you should do it.  Believe me.  Have I ever led you astray?  No.  Or at least I tell myself I haven't. 

But just try it.  You'll lurve it.      
Slow Cooker Chicken Taco Soup
from Day in the Country

1 onion, chopped
1 15 oz can of black beans, drained and rinsed
1 8 oz can of tomato sauce
2 10 oz cans diced tomatoes with green chilies
1 package of taco seasoning mix
1 16 oz can chili beans, undrained
1 15 oz can corn, drained
12 oz of beer
2 boneless skinless chicken breast.  

Place everything but the onion in a slow cooker.  Stir to combine.  Lay the chicken on top, pressing down slightly until it's just covered by the other ingredients.  Cook on low for 7 hours.  About 30 minutes before serving, remove the chicken, shred it, return it to the slow cooker. 

Serving size 1 cup (makes about 9)
Points plus 5

Serving this with saltines, sour cream, shredded cheese and green onions was one of the best decisions I've made in a while.  Just sayin. 

 
 

1 comment:

  1. Yum! We make taco soup literally every other week at our house during the fall, BUT we use beef & just cook it on the stove top. Will definitley have to try this recipe out. Not sure if I am ready to let go of my ranch packet, though. :)

    ReplyDelete