10/22/12

Southern Style Cuban Sandwiches

I'm a lot tad obsessive about the oddest things.  For example, before going to King Biscuit a few weeks ago, I was absolutely obsessed with what food we were going to take and eat.  I guess I had King Biscuit confused with a legitimate camping experience where packed nourishment is essential to survival.  

Nah.  Not at KBBF.  If you run out of food then you just saunter over the It's Greek To Me trailer and grab yourself a gyro.  Done and done. 

So anywho.  While making my of things to remember to pack, I was sure to include grocery lists and recipes.  I wanted to step it up a notch from your typical turkey and cheese sandwich, I hit up the September issue of Southern Living for some really awesome ideas.  Done.  Thanks, Southern Living, for always being awesome.  
I made my sauce, carefully packed my wheat rolls and purchased a pound and a quarter of sauce-less pork from Abe's in Clarksdale.  

Isn't there some saying about the best laid plans and how they often go wonky?  I believe there is.  But I'm not interested enough to research it.  

These plans were sure as heck well laid, the rain and cold came in and made them totally wonky.  But it's cool. I kept everything on ice and toted it all back home.  The next logical thing to do was to gather some friends and cook them over an open fire in someones back yard.  Well, that open fire didn't happen either sooooo the third logical thing to do was to just pop them in the oven.  Probably should have started with that but all's well that ends well.   

Now.  Go make these sandwiches.  Dooo it.   
Southern Style Cuban Sandwiches
adapted from Southern Living

6 servings of bread (sub rolls, ciabtta, whatevs)
6 slices of provolone cheese
1 1/4 lb sliced bbq pork without the sauce 
chipotle remoulade
Wickles wicked pepper strips

Layer the pork  and the cheese on the bread.  Place under the broiler until cheese is melted and pork is heated through.  Layer with remoulade and pepper strips.  

Serve warm. 

Chipotle Remoulade
adapted from Southern Living 

3/4 cup mayoniase
2 tbl creole mustard
1 tbl sweet pickle relish
1 tbl dill pickle relish
2 canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, chopped
1/2 tsp of lemon zest
2 tsp lemon juice
1/8 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper

Combine all ingredients.  Refrigerate until ready to use. 


1 comment:

  1. I have had some wickles wicked pepper strips in my pantry for over a year. We have been contemplating what type of sandwich to put them on. I'm officially inspired. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete