11/13/12

Corn and Crab Bisque

Have you ever had a bowl of something that made everything OK?  I have.  Lots of times.  But I'm a tad obsessed with food so I might not be the person appropriate for discussing this.  

One of the dishes that I believe makes everything OK is the crab bisque from the Delta Bistro.  Seriously guys.  One bite of this and you've got your hand over your heart while humming amazing grace.  I mean, the warring gangs from Sons of Anarchy would lay down their weapons for this.  Maybe.    

So a few weeks ago, with my favorite cookbook in my hands, I decided to try my own version of a crab bisque.  Ok, yeah, the sherry was absent and my crab came from a can but it was still pretty good.  *Patting myself on the back*  

Ahhh.  Bisque.  Soups.  Fall.  This is my jam, y'all.   
Corn and Crab Bisque
from Day in the Country

1/4 cup of butter
1/4 cup of chopped onion
3 tbl flour
28 oz chicken broth
8 oz clam juice
3 cloves of garlic
2 bay leaves
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp Cajun seasoning
salt and pepper, to taste
4 ears of corn, kernels shucked
1 cup half and half
1 lb fresh lump crab meat (or canned. whoops.)  

Heat butter in a large pot over medium heat.  Stir in onion and cook until soft.  Add flour and stir constantly for 2 minutes.  Slowly add chicken broth and clam juice and bring to a boil. Stir in garlic, bay leaves, cayenne pepper, Cajun seasoning, salt and pepper.  Stir corn into the boiling broth.  Simmer about 10 minutes.  Reduce heat to medium low.  Remove one cup of soup and set aside to cool slightly.  Blend, I used an immersion blender but you can use whatever.  Pour in half and half and blend for 30-45 seconds.  Slowly stir into simmering soup.  Reduce heat to low.  Stir in the crab meat and cook for about 5 more minutes.  

Serving size 1 cup (makes 8)
Points plus 4     

1 comment:

  1. Uhm, if you think that recipe is good - you should try THIS one. It is AMAH-ZING.

    http://www.starchefs.com/features/soups/2006/html/crabmeat_k_kringlie.shtml

    ReplyDelete