11/7/12

Red Beans and Turkey Sausage

Red Beans and Rice is one of those dishes that is just so good that it doesn't photograph well. 

It doesn't photograph well because it's so busy being awesome that it doesn't have time to slow down for a picture. 

Ooooooor maybe it's the kind of dish that I want to eat so badly and so quickly that I don't have time to slow down and get a good picture. 
Whatever the situation...I love red beans and rice more than I love many things.  Put it in a crock pot and my love doth increase 8 fold. 

But now it's confession time. 

I. Can't. Cook. Rice. 

But I've probably rambled about this before so that's not to juicy of a confession, I guess. 

Thank goodness we have things like quinoa to take the place of rice in a tight spot, right? Right.  
I whipped up a few cups of the crazy quinoa to mix up with my red beans and all was right with the world!

You heard it here, folks, Red Beans and Quinoa is the next big thang. 

And, PS, add some spice to this recipe.  It was good and basic yet lacking in the spice.   

Red Beans and Turkey Sausage
adapted from Paula Deen

7 oz smoked turkey sausage
1 yellow onion, chopped
1 bell pepper, chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped
3 cloves of garlic, chopped
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp dried thyme
1 lb dried red beans
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp hot sauce
3 bay leaves

Place all ingredients, along with seven cups of water, in a slow cooker.  Cook on low for eight hours. 

Serve with rice / quinoa / whatever! 

Serving size 1 cup (makes about 8)
Points plus 5 

No comments:

Post a Comment