11/14/12

Turkey Sausage Breakfast Sandwiches

I love pulling out O.G. weight watcher recipes/foods.  You know.  Like the stuff that's been around since the beginning?  When I first started weight watchers I lived on dill pickles, frozen broccoli with cheese, salsa and lean cuisines.  Not all together.  Although I probably have dipped a dill pickle in salsa before but let's not talk about that... 

This breakfast beauty is also an old favorite.  Spend a little bit of time one afternoon putting then together and then stick them in the fridge for easy breakfasts all week!     
I'm not sure why I ever stopped making them.  I'm not sure why I don't have a constant stream of WW Breakfast sandwiches for the various breakfast issues that arise.  Maybe it's because I felt like they were a process to make. At least, that's what I told Brandon.  

Me: Hey I'm going to the grocery store. What do you want for breakfast this week??

Him:  How about some of those awesome breakfast sandwiches you used to make? I love those!

Me: Ugggggghhhhhhhh.  They are just so much trouble to make!  All the tearing of the foil is exhausting...*Throws hand to forehead and does a slight back bend, trying to emulate Scarlet O'Hara*  

BrandonJust sits there and looks at me, wondering why he even answers my questions at all.       

Yeah, not quite sure why I had such a strong emotional reaction to these guys because turns out...they aren't the pain to make that I thought they were.  Not sure why my amygdala got so stimulated.... 

The recipe that I'm sharing today is based on what the grocery store had as far as the ingredients go.  Here is the original recipe although the points are the old, not the new ones.  I'm guessing that old one recipe would be 5 pp.  Yummy regardless of if you are a point counter or not!
Turkey Sausage Breakfast Sandwiches

8 oz of Italian turkey sausage, removed from casings
1/2 onion, chopped 
1/4 cup of egg beaters
1 cup reduced fat Mexican cheese (I used WW brand)
6 whole wheat English muffins, halved

In a large skillet, cook the onion and the sausage until done.  Transfer to a bowl and allow to cool.  Add the egg beaters and the cheese and combine.  

Lay out English muffin halves on small sheets of foil.  Divide the sausage mixture evenly among the 12 halves.  Wrap tightly in foil, freeze.  

To cook, preheat oven to 400 and bake (still wrapped in foil) for 20 minutes.

Serving size 1 sandwich (makes 12)
Points plus 3       

No comments:

Post a Comment