1/3/13

Elegant Shrimp and Artichoke

Technically, this isn't my recipe.  Well. Really very little of what I post can be considered "my recipe" as I don't really have much creativity in the kitchen.  

What I mean is that I didn't cook this.  My sister, Jennifer, cooked it and and served it up Christmas Eve.  Boy, oh boy, am I glad that she did!  It was so freaking good.   
I'm realizing as I type this that you probably aren't getting much out of that up close and personal picture up there.  Nothing really elegant about in your face shrimp that is a touch blurry and indistinguishable.  Perhaps I should have made one of my New Years goals to ease on back up off my food when photographing it.  

Eh.  Oh well.  It was the holidays.  I was crazed.  You were probably crazed.  We were all crazed.  

But now it's January.  And it's cold.  And we're slowly getting back to reality and back into swings of things and back into routines.  Meals like this can help ease the path back to normalcy.    

They also help meet your need for Parmesan cheese.  And whipping cream.  Wherps. 

Elegant Shrimp and Artichokes
from Food for Thought

1 1/2 lb cooked, peeled and deveined medium shrimp
1 can artichoke hearts in water
6 1/2 tbl butter
4 1/2 tbl flour
3/4 cup whole milk
1 cup whipping cream
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce (Jen always adds an extra shake)
1/4 cup dry sherry (Jen uses cooking sherry)
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
pepper to taste
1/4 lb mushrooms, sliced thick
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
paprika

Preheat oven to 350.

Drain and coarsely chop artichoke hearts.  Make a white sauce by melting butter in a saucepan over medium/low heat.  Add flour an stir.  Slowly add milk then cream, stirring constantly until thickened.  Remove from heat and bring to room temp.  Add Worcestershire, sherry, salt and peppers; stir until well combined. 

Layer artichoke hearts, shrimp and mushrooms in a greased casserole dish.  Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese then pour white sauce on top.   Sprinkle paprika on top.  Bake for 20-30 minutes or until hot and bubbly.  Serve over pasta or wild rice.**

Jen suggests this one sans the flavor packet. 


No comments:

Post a Comment