1/29/13

Quinoa, Kidney Beans and Avacado

If all has gone according to plan this week, today is Tuesday aka the day that I'm a vegan.  How's it going, you ask?  Smashingly if you don't count that time last week that I accidentally put coffee in my creamer.  Fail. 

According to a past nutrition instructor, ve-gins can easily miss out on important aspects of nutrition; it's important to remain aware of what's what to stay healthy.  Since I'm only doing this one day a week it's a non issue BUT I am trying to explore ways of eating this way more often.  I love the simplicity and the exploration of the new recipes.  

Sooooo it's lots of grains and legumes, peanut butter and avocados for this home girl; not at the same time, mind you, but that could happen at some point. 

This recipe is one that I found in a Real Simple magazine.  It's quite simple, really, but nothing I would have ever thought of.  Of course, as I am much more of a recipe girl than I'd like to admit....   
 
Quinoa, Kidney Beans and Avocado 
adapted from Real Simple

1 cup of uncooked quinoa
1 can of kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 avocado, chopped
green onions

Rinse quinoa and cook it according to the package directions.  Meanwhile, combine your avocado, kidney beans and scallions in a bowl.  Add in cooked quinoa and combine.  
 
Serving size 1/2 cup (makes 9)
Points plus 4 

No comments:

Post a Comment