1/9/13

Vegetable Tortellini Soup

In my mind, this is one of the happiest images mine eyes can behold...a pot all up on the stove cooking and simmering and making shizz happen.
Or wait.  Maybe mound of steaming hot tortalini nestled in a pool of fresh veggies is the happiest image mine eyes can behold.  Ugh.  Now I'm confused. 
Confused, yet happy.

Happy that A la Carte in Cleveland not only served this soup but also put it in their cookbook.  Happy that I got said cookbook for Christmas that one year.  Happy that I woke up sunday morning thinking about this soup.  

Regardless of the source of my happiness, this soup rocks.  You should make it this week.  And when you make it, you should keep the tortellinis and the soup separate until just about to eat.  Why?  Because if not, the torts will soak up all the liquids kind of like how gummy bears soak up vodka.  Don't even ask me how I know that.  

So yeahThis soup is nine kinds of awesome.  I make it constantly.  Hell, I post about it constantly.  This is probably like the 9th time It has made its appearance on this blog.  Well no.  That's probably an exaggeration.  I'm rambling now.  Carry on.     
Vegetable Tortellini Soup
adapted from A la Carte Cookbook

1 cup of celery, chopped
1 cup of carrots, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, chopped
1 onion, chopped
1 zucchini, chopped
1 yellow squash, chopped
2 large cans of Italian style tomatoes, diced 
6 cups vegetable broth
1 bay leaf
1 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp dried parsley 

Heat a large pot over medium high heat, spray with cooking spray.  Cook carrot and celery for about five minutes, stirring constantly.  Add in onion and garlic and rest of the ingredients.  Bring to a boil then reduce heat and allow to simmer for an hour or so.  

Serving size 1 cup (makes about 13)
Points plus 1

WAIT! WHAT ABOUT THE TORTELLINI?

Well, I kept it separate for points sake and for the sake of being a vegan once a week.  Just pick your tortellini, cook it up and add it in to suit your fancy!       



No comments:

Post a Comment