1/7/13

What I Ate When I Was Vegan For That One Day :: Week One

If you read this blog with any regularity then you know that I am a fan of setting odd and slightly unrealistic goals.  One of my most recent odd and unrealistic goals was to follow a Vegan diet one day per week each week in 2013.  Unrealistic?  Not really.  Probably a little odd, though.  Especially living in Greenwood.  I pity those that live in Greenwood and have dietary restrictions, either by choice or by necessity.  Sometimes, when you go to Wal Mart, there are no bananas.  This always strikes me as odd.  Where are they?  Who bought all the bananas?  Wal Mart, why weren't you prepared for this? 

Moving on.    

So.  I kicked of my attempt at being 1/7 vegan last week and am here to report that it went smashingly.  I don't think I consumed any animal products but really, who knows. I do know that there was a near disaster regarding some peppermint mocha coffee creamer.  It's amazing the things you do just out of habit.  And it's amazing the things that are animal products that you never even think about.  

So here's what I ate.  Because I know you've been wondering all week. 

Breakfast was 1/2 cup of uncooked oatmeal (4 pp) (cooked) with blueberries, 1/2 tsp of brown sugar and 1 tbl of jelly (1 pp) (Is pectin vegan?  Yes.  Gelatin is not. Lots to keep track of.)   Anyway.  This breakfast was oatmeal, I'm not going rave about oatmeal.  But the brown sugar helps.  
Lunch was a bright spot in my day provided by Amy.  That Amy.  I'm not sure who she is but I sure do love her microwavable meals.  The samosa wrap (7 pp) was tasty and filling and easy to eat on the fly at my desk.  And that packaging, so festive. 
Dinner was a winner winner that was made up of a simple taco bowl.  It was warm and comforting and cheap and filling.  Win enjoyed a taco bowl with me; this proves it really was good and I wasn't just in looser denial  about how much I wanted some cheese. 
Want to make one for yourself?  Here you go!

1/2 cup cooked brown rice (3 pp)
1/2 cup canned black beans (2 pp)
1/2 avocado (4 pp)
onions (sauteed in cooking spray and cumin)
jalapenos
salsa
12 multigrain tostitos scoops  (4)

So there you go.  The adventures of a 1/7 Vegan begin.  Or a veh-gin  as my nutrition teacher used to say.  

Any suggestions?  Hit me up!

Bye.    

No comments:

Post a Comment