3/27/13

Woohoo Wednesday (Timing and Gaga's Chocolate Cake)

One of you turkeys (turkies??) must really be needing a recipe for an amazing chocolate cake today.  Yep.  Somewhere, someone has asked for this.  To themselves, to a friend, to the universe, to the Internet.  

What the name of Sam are you talking about? You might ask

Well.  What I'm talking about is that concept of you get something (or find something) exactly when you need it.  A chocolate cake recipe, an answer, a job, a friendship.  Still not with me?  Think about it.  Think about the beauty of timing, the beauty of enough, the beauty of (duh) the perfect chocolate cake recipe.   

Woohoo!

So.  I made this cake back in the beginning of March to celebrate my sister, Jennifer's, birthday.  I had this post (pictures and all) prepared but I couldn't find the recipe.  Anywhere.  It was gone.  Disappeared.  Done.  

So here this little post sat in my little corner of the blog world, waiting patiently to be finished and published and shared with all you kids.
Luckily for us all, this recipe revealed itself to me while I was doing something completely unrelated to cakes, opening the utility bill or something glamorous like that.  I found it buried under a few layers of papers clipped to the fridge.  Happiness ensued...I was finally going to this recipe out there and out of blog purgatory.  
Purgatory is not the place for this recipe.  No way, dude.  It's way to good and special for that.  I'm glad I got to not only spend her birthday with her but also bake this cake for my sister.  I'm also glat that I got to have a bite, but that's neither here nor there, right?  Right.  
 
This recipe has associated with it many happy memories and is up there on the list of most requested sweets from family members.  Once upon a time, Chickey helped decorate it by sticking candles in the sides as well as on top and requested it all be lit all up like a Christmas tree.  #youngestchild #shegetwhatshewant 

This recipe comes from my great-grandmother, Gaga.  My mom still has her original recipe card and read it allowed to me over the phone one lunch break.  I love how the original recipe calls of "oleo" and has "Andy's Favorite" written up top in Gaga's (pronounced Gah-gee) script. 

A thought:  what would Gaga think about Pinterest?  

She'd probably be just as confused by Pinterest as I am by Oleo.   
Gaga's Chocolate Cake

For the cake:
2 sticks of butter
4 tbl cocoa
1 cup water
2 cups four
2 cups sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp baking soda
1 tbl vanilla
1/2 cup buttermilk
pinch of salt.  

Bring the butter, cocoa and water to a boil.  Move to a mixing bowl.  Stir together the flour and the sugar.  Blend the eggs, baking soda, vanilla, buttermilk, salt.  Add the egg mixture and the flour mixture to the butter mixture and combine.  

Bake for 20 minutes at 400.  Do not over bake!

For the icing:

1 stick of butter
4 tbl cocoa
6 tbl whole milk
1 tbl powdered sugar
1 tbl vanilla

Bring the butter, cocoa and milk to a boil.  Add the sugar and the vanilla.  Pour over cake to ice.  

Sooo here's something worth mentioning.  This icing is real runny, it never fully solidifies.  For this reason I'm pretty sure that trying to do something fancy like ice a layer cake would be disastrousKeep it simple and get yourself a foil pan...give the receiver of the cake the whole thing, minus the emotional burden of having to return a dish to someoneTakes winning to a whole new level....    

Enjoy this cake!

Thanks Gaga!  
   

No comments:

Post a Comment